• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alcohol Content in Lemon Extract

Shel_B

Maybe this applies to other flavor extracts as well: While looking for some lemon extract today, I came across something I never noticed before. The alcohol content was different for each of the three extracts I checked. Nielsen Massey claimed 90% alcohol, McCormick had 83% alcohol, and Penzeys had 61% alcohol. So, assuming all else being equal, is less or more alcohol the way to go? My guess would be that less alcohol provides more flavor for the same measured amount.

... Shel

Alcohol is a solvent, and it is used in extracting essential flavor oils from their original source -in this case, lemon peels. The higher the concentration of alcohol, and therefore lower the amount of water, the better the extract. You can't really buy 100% pure alcohol. That said, the balance of the % of ingredients on your label will me mostly water. The flavor components are relatively tiny, even in the best extracts.

I make all sorts of extracts at home and know for a fact that Everclear outperforms vodka in both speed and efficiency.

• Like 1