• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Slow Cooker Quality & Recommendations

Shel_B

What's the advantage to putting an insert in a SVS?

Quite simply, it creates a slow cooker with a thermostatic control. As the water bath is closely regulated, the insert can't exceed that temp. One can use this either for conventional braising temps (e.g., 190ºF) or LTLT (e.g., 150ºF). The former nicely solves the problem identified by the OP. (Assuming, of course, one has or is willing to invest in the relatively expensive SVS.) The latter is handy for dishes where plastic bags aren't convenient and/or for folks who don't like cooking in plastic bags.

As for your comment, Syzgies, I've used several strategies to elevate the insert, in all cases nonreactive. Early on, I used a silicone steamer, More recently I found a stainless steel chile grilling rack at Sur la Table (lamentably, just discontinued) which is perfect. What I've found is that the material of the insert doesn't matter much, though (by report) the material of the trivet does.

s for your comment, Syzgies, I've used several strategies to elevate the insert, in all cases nonreactive. Early on, I used a silicone steamer, More recently I found a stainless steel chile grilling rack at Sur la Table (lamentably, just discontinued) which is perfect. What I've found is that the material of the insert doesn't matter much, though (by report) the material of the trivet does.

I use a silicone steamer with the legs chopped off in a commercial rice cooker setup, but it's still tall. This chile rack is still available at Surly Table: http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-625756/Chile-Pepper-Grill-Rack-and-Corer

I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop. But hollow stainless steel tubes?

Per la strada incontro un passero che disse "Fratello cane, perche sei cosi triste?"

Ripose il cane: "Ho fame e non ho nulla da mangiare."