• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

lemniscate

lemniscate

26 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Please tell more about this. I'm a big fan of dill pickles, and might want to try this soup!

It's a soup consisting of pork broth, cooked until the meat is very soft.  Grated potatoes, carrots and pickles are added.  I'd say Mom's standard ratio is 6-8 cups of meat broth, 3-4 cups of grated potatoes, 1-2 cups grated carrots and 5-6 grated dill pickles (Vlasic is the usual choice) with juice reserved.   The vegetables are added and cooked until just tender.  Mom puts a good dollop of sour cream (3-4 tablespoons) and about half that amount flour in a mason jar with some water and shakes it to combine.  Then pours the mixture through a fine sieve into the soup to avoid lumps.  Cook until thickened.  The pickle juice can be added to boost the tanginess of the soup if desired.  This soup has a thick, chowder-like consistency.   All this cooking is done by feel, so the amounts are my best guess since it was my job to grate all the vegetables.   There are several recipes on the internet searches, most use chicken broth, some cube the veggies, some use an egg as part of the thickening....

lemniscate

lemniscate

12 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Please tell more about this. I'm a big fan of dill pickles, and might want to try this soup!

It's a soup consisting of pork broth, cooked until the meat is very soft.  Grated potatoes, carrots and pickles are added.  I'd say Mom's standard ratio is 6-8 cups of meat broth, 3-4 cups of grated potatoes, 1-2 cups grated carrots and 5-6 grated dill pickles (Vlasic is the usual choice) with juice reserved.   The vegetables are added and cooked until just tender.  Mom puts a good dollop of sour cream (3-4 tablespoons) and about half that amount flour in a mason jar with some water and shakes it to combine.  Then pours the mixture through a fine sieve into the soup to avoid lumps.  Cook until thickened.  The pickle juice can be added to boost the tanginess of the soup if desired.  This soup be a thick, chowder-like consistency.   All this cooking is done by feel, so the amounts are my best guess since it was my job to grate all the vegetables.   There are several recipes on the internet searches, most use chicken broth, some cube the veggies, some use an egg as part of the thickening....