• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help with cooking fish for a party

Charcuterer

I'm having a Christmas party for my staff on Thursday, it will be 12 of us. My main is going to be a beautiful 5 rib standing rib roast. I will roast it very low and slow.. Other dishes include potatoes au gratin, candied sweet potatoes, Herriot vert in a shallot vinaigrette, roasted Brussels sprouts.

My problem is this. I want to do a fish for my two non-beef eaters, but I am allergIc to fish and have never cooked it. (there is no problem handling it, just can't eat it.) Can any one give me suggestions on what to do? I was thinking about doing a sous vide hallibut or maybe salmon. Any help with what to cook and techniques would be greatly appreciated.

Sous vide salmon is the way to go. I'd individually seal the two portions. Sear to order. Follow the guide for time and temp in the SV Index--it's served me well in the past. Keep in mind that as a fatty fish it'll be fairly forgiving if you over sear it

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between