• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Anna N

Anna N

@mgaretz

Those look really good!

Let's face it most people who buy an air fryer want to make French fries. Anything else is just icing on the cake.  But if you can't make decent fries then you'll consider your investment wasted. So today I returned to the French fry puzzlement and tried something very similar to mgaretz

I cut the fries somewhat smaller, soaked them in icewater for 30 minutes, drained and dried them thoroughly then tossed them with a measured 1/2 tablespoon of duck fat. I used only one russet potato. 

I preheated the fryer for five minutes at 160°C then cooked the fries for exactly 5 minutes at that temperature. I let the fries cool, then returned them to the fryer and increased the temperature to 200°C and cooked them for a further 12 minutes, shaking them every once in a while.  These turned out much more satisfactory. I should have let them go a few more minutes and they might have crisped up appropriately.  Still they were perfectly satisfactory.   Dipped into garlic aioli made with Hellmann's, they made for a delicious lunch alongside garden tomatoes and leftover chicken thigh. 

image.jpeg

Anna N

Anna N

@mgaretz

Those look really good!

Let's face it most people who buy an air fryer want to make french fries. Anything else is just icing on the cake.  But if you can't make decent fries then you'll consider your investment wasted. So today I returned it to the french fry puzzlement and tried something very similar to mgaretz

I cut the fries somewhat smaller, soaked them in icewater for 30 minutes, drained and dried them thoroughly then tossed them with a measured 1/2 tablespoon of duck fat. I used only one russet potato. 

I preheated the fryer for five minutes at one 160°C then cook the fries for exactly 5 minutes at that temperature. I let the fries cool, then return them to the fryer and increased the temperature to 200°C and cooked them for a further 12 minutes,  shaking them every once in a while.  These turned out much more satisfactory. I should have let them go a few more minutes and they might have crisped up appropriately.  Still they were perfectly satisfactory.   Dipped into garlic aioli made with Hellmann's, they made for a delicious lunch alongside garden tomatoes and leftover chicken thigh. 

image.jpeg