• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

I have a few suggestions. Please take them in the spirit intended.

First clean your wok before you use it. I can see bits of old food moving around when you add the oil.

Heat the clean, empty wok then add the oil. In Chinese wok cooking, we never add cold oil to a cold wok.

Stabilise your wok. It is wobbling about really dangerously.

Remove that cable running across the gas rings. Again really dangerous.

If you coat all the chicken pieces then put them in the oil more or less together, they will cook more evenly. Chinese cooks would never use a deep fat fryer. They would use the wok.

A tablespoon of MSG is a huge amount to add to such a small dish. A teaspoon or two would be a lot more sensible. And contrary to popular opinion we do not add five-spice powder to everything. It is rarely used in China outside of Hong Kong/Guangdong.

I don't know what this dish is, but I'm 200% sure it isn't "realchineserecipes". I've never come across anything close to it in China or anywhere else. Must be realmanchesterrecipes".

liuzhou

liuzhou

I have a few suggestions. Please take them in the spirit intended.

First clean your wok before you use it. I can see bits of old food moving around when you add the oil.

Heat the clean, empty wok then add the oil. In Chinese wok cooking, we never add cold oil to a cold wok.

Stabilise your wok. It is wobbling about really dangerously.

Remove that cable running across the gas rings. Again really dangerous.

If you coat all the chicken pieces then put them in the oil more or less together, they will cook more evenly. Chinese cooks would never use a deep fat fryer. They would use the wok.

A tablespoon of MSG is a huge amount to add to such a small dish. A teaspoon or two would be a lot more sensible. And contrary to popular opinion we do not add five-spice powder to everything. It is rarely used in China outside of Hong Kong/Guangdong.

I don't know what this dish is, but I'm 200% sure it isn't "realchineserecipes". I've never come across anything close to it in China or anywhere else. Must be realmanchesterrecipes".