• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Craft cocktail bars around the world

Kent Wang

If you ever venture outside of major US cities, internationally or even into deepest, darkest flyover country, it may be difficult to find good cocktail bars. Reviews can be unreliable, as you never know what the author means by "good cocktail". For this purpose, I will define it as the caliber of bars similar to Pegu Club, Death & Co, Bourbon & Branch, Violet Hour, Cure, etc.

eGullet member tikibars has a website and a book coming out called Destination: Cocktails where he lists many bars in lesser known places like Berlin, Austin, even Anchorage. I actually accompanied him to a few bars when he came to Shanghai.

I would like to expand and update his list with some bars that I've been to. Each city is sorted from best bar to not as good (but still pretty good).

Shanghai

Senator Saloon - Opened summer 2012, this is now the best bar in town. Bartender from Portland

The Publick (formerly Apothecary) - Branch of Beijing Apothecary, but ownership change and renamed to The Publick.

Alchemist

el Coctel

Beijing

Mai - In a hutong (alley), lots of character. Cheapest drinks I've ever seen, around ¥50 ($7). Bartender ex-Apothecary.

Apothecary

Singapore

Tippling Club - Some creative and molecular touches.

Bar Stories

Ku De Ta - On top of the Marina Bay Sands. Decent menu, probably made by a consultant, but drinks made too sweet—ask them to make it less sweet. Still, surprisingly good for a place with an amazing view. You could just go here instead of the Singapore Flyer.

Hong Kong

001 - Haven't been but I've heard is quite good. Might need an invitation or code.

Lily & Bloom - Visited in 2010, only five cocktails, probably a consultant gave them the recipes and left. The secret cigar room is pretty neat.

Bangkok

I went with friends to two bars that were decent. Can't remember their names but I could find out if you PM me.

Berlin

Lebensstern - Most extensive rum menu I've ever seen, with over 40 from Martinique alone.

See Destination: Cocktails for more in Berlin, and many other places.

For Melbourne I'd suggest Der Raum. If you're not a member you need to book in advance. A bit too noisy but the drinks--altho' the menu doesn't look like it's changed since I last visited there a few months ago--are interesting enough to make this tolerable. If someone has a particular interest in whisk(e)y I'd direct them to Chez Regine or Kodiak Club. Neither are craft cocktail bars but their whiskey menus are very extensive. Chez Regine has a few hundred scotch whiskies, plus a fair amount of whiskies from elsewhere in the world (including Australia), on the menu. Kodiak Club is focused on bourbon, although it also has other kinds of North American whiskey.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Unfortunately bars seem to refer to themselves as "craft cocktail bars" if they decide they want to sell more cocktails, without any other basis. Chris doesn't agree, but I've had pretty good luck at 1806 in Melbourne. At least the drinks have been good. The service can be a bit weird. Chez Regine was enjoyable and a good place for research before you buy a bottle.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

1806 is okay. I think it's hit and miss. When it's quiet it's mostly good. The cocktails are generally well-balanced--I've never tasted anything that was too sweet or too sour (comapred to what it's meant to be like, I mean). I think the problem is the service. That's what slides when the place gets busy. You can't offer table service if you're going to pack in a lot of tables (remember, that's that larger upstairs area) but not employ many waitstaff or enough bartenders to turn out drinks at a reasonable rate. The atmosphere is also a little off. It can get a little loud and the choice of music is a bit weird (altho' not as off-putting as Der Raum, mind you).

I think it's vastly superior to Gin Palace, however.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

I just got back from Munich and really enjoyed Schumann's American Bar. Delicious, balanced and well crafted cocktails, an interesting international crowd and a really extensive menu. I'd highly recommend it.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Perhaps I can weigh in here, with an interesting cocktail bar in Berlin: the Green Door Bar.

Last time I went it was about a year ago. This place is right by Nollendorf Platz, a very nice neighborhood that used to be the place for hip, young homosexuals to hang out but has now become a place for older, hipster homosexuals. Depending on how desperate they are for customers, you may have to dress up a little for them to let you in. Women, of course, are always welcome, but men may have to rock a suite and/or tie. Once you're inside, you wont mind the effort. The atmosphere is that of a classic American cocktail lounge, and their specialty cocktail menu is topnotch (although admittedly overpriced).

There's also some very unusual (and engaging) nightlife. When I was there last, a magician named Jethro, dressed to the nines, strolled over to our table and proceeded to perform the most astounding close-up magic show I'd ever witnessed. He made each of us (there were four at the table) part of the show, and we all marveled at how he was able to perform these baffling tricks with our own hands. A great experience.

I should also mention that the Green Door Bar allows smoking inside, which from my perspective is fantastic, but which some of you might find unpleasant. It's a small space, so there really isn't a non-smoking option inside.

Wonderful place in a wonderful city. Stop by the Green Door Bar if you're ever in Berlin.

Pro tip: You only need to find one good cocktail bar in a city. If you want to go to some others, just ask the bartender what they recommend.

The Tales of the Cocktail Spirited Awards has some places I've never heard of:

Columbia Room – Washington, District of Columbia

69 Colebrooke Row – London, United Kingdom

Black Pearl –Melbourne, Australia

The Connaught Bar – London, United Kingdom

Callooh Callay – London, United Kingdom

Candelaria – Paris, France

Canon – Seattle, Washington

The Zetter Townhouse – London, United Kingdom

In Singapore, there's also Bar Kode in Little India, which I haven't been to but hear is well-regarded.

The Tales of the Cocktail Spirited Awards has some places I've never heard of:

Columbia Room – Washington, District of Columbia

69 Colebrooke Row – London, United Kingdom

Black Pearl –Melbourne, Australia

The Connaught Bar – London, United Kingdom

Callooh Callay – London, United Kingdom

Candelaria – Paris, France

Canon – Seattle, Washington

The Zetter Townhouse – London, United Kingdom

69 Colebrooke Row and the Zetter Townhouse in London are both run by Tony Conigliaro. The Zetter Townhouse is the newer operation. 69 Colebrooke Row was recommended to me by David Wondrich (Splificator) a while back when I had the chance to meet him at a book signing. In fact I believe he was there just recently giving one of their Masterclass series presentations.

So I am guessing they do a pretty good job with the cocktails. Unfortunately I did not get a chance to stop in and check it out on my most recent brief stop in London last month.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from Hong Kong.

001 - Pretty good, has some house infusions. Food is good. You can Google for the phone number and address, or PM me.

Quinary - Has some molecular elements, though mostly gimmicky (I've yet to be impressed by molecular cocktails, I even thought Aviary was gimmicky, though I loved Alinea). At least everything was good. Pretty good food, also with some molecular touches.