• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Michelin Guide, Great Britain & Ireland 2013

Less than two weeks before this eagerly awaited guide is released. Chefs and restaurateurs have their fingers crossed hoping to gain recognition, as this really is the guide the industry respects above all others.

OK, who's getting their first star? Who's getting there second or third? Who will lose theirs?

For what its worth.

This is to start the ball rolling.

I have eaten quite a lot of Simon Rogan's food this year along with a very good selection of other one and two star chefs.

He is easily on par with all of the two star chefs and if he does not get his second star this year there is some kind of conspiricy going on.

Of the new stars Medlar is head and shoulders up there for recognition.

More to follow.

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

Yes. Agree on Alyn Williams had a very good meal there about three weeks ago.

Not tried Paul food yet but will do on Weds at Nutters in Rochdale at the Dingly Dell Pork extravaganza.

Cambridge is due another star is it not?

@d_goodfellow1

When Aumbry opened, it was touted as the place that was finally going to bring a star to Greater Manchester (yes, I know we'd all heard that before - several times).

Ii's taken a couple of years but I think it may now be ready.

John Hartley

I was just thinking in the old days this would have been 12 pages long by now, and whether the results might even not be mentioned until publication!

Michelin appears to favour evolution over revolution. If they think the same way as the many starred chefs that have graced its dining room Hedone should be nailed on.

However as we have seen with many new individual restuarants over the years such as Anthony's, Fraiche, and L'Enclume, Michelin are in no rush to award stars to newly formed businesses with little in the way of history with the guide, hence many 'new' stars historically go to former star holders in new places, and 'new' places can wait a long time to become recognised, and a good clutch of stars will go places completely un-mentioned on food boards or blogs!

Sat Bains waited a long time for his second, and with Roganic and other expansion in Cartmel wouldn't be surprised if L'Enclume wasn't upgraded this year either, regardless of what's currently on the plate.

I hope the Star at Harome gets theirs back, and The Pheasant is an outside chance, I thought the Star was going to be the first 2* pub easily, which just goes to prove how little I know. (If that were in doubt.....)

Edited by Gary Marshall (log)

you don't win friends with salad

I've said this before and I'll say it again: I think Michelin have a real element of a petulant child about them. The problem a number of UK chefs had in recent years is GFG and AA recognised their talent long before Michelin and my theory is they don't like being beaten to the punch. Wareing and Sat are two prime cases in point who shot up the ranks of 'other' guides and then waited longer than they should for their second stars. There are a number of current chefs who now face the same probem (although the best example is perhaps to be found overseas at Noma), so it will be interesting to see what happens this year.

My money on major activity for this year is going to Scotland and Edinburgh. I wouldn't be surprised if Wishart and / or Kitchin get elevated and, as a total left field prediction, a possible third for Fairlie. Having eaten his food this year I think his style and execution is slap bang center of the target in terms of what Michelin favour. They threw a wild card at us last year in the form of the Hand & Flowers and I wouldn't put them past awarding the first three star north of the border as this years talking point. Not to mention the fact he's flown under the radar relative to his peers so could be, for want of a better word, their 'discovery'.

this really is the guide the industry respects above all others.

Really?

I think most people are utterly bored. Industry and more importantly, customers.

I don't. in fact I don't think there is any comparison.

Michelin is the gold standard that translates across language and country. you can argue whether it should be (and probably make a decent case), but not whether it is.

Edited by Scott (log)

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

Doesn't look like any new ***s (wouldn't have expected any, but David Everitt-M must be getting bored of his ** by now!)

Looks like Greenhouse, Petersham Nurseries have kept their * despite changes of chef. Ditto North Road (although I think that change may have been late for this guide). No star for Anima - Mazzei must be getting a bit fed up by now!

Overall apart from maybe Sketch going to **s I don't feel there's any big surprises. Maybe I'd have thought they'd have waiting a year to macaron Dabbous and Alyn Williams, given they waited for Hedone and Medlar?

Amused by michelins unending ability to cock-up the release of the mich star release. Reminds me of our 4x100m relay team!

J

Edited by Jon Tseng (log)
More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

Fantastic news for Mark Poynton at Alimentum I thought it was about time he got one.

Michael Wignall at Pennyhill Park as well. Much much deserved, top chef indeed.

Simon Rogan just had to get his second. Long overdue but finally.

Hooray Michelin

@d_goodfellow1

Great celebrations in Dublin, Locks Brasserie won a Michelin star, it’s been confirmed their end. So thrilled for them, a brilliant team, wonderful room, food, and service. Interesting move on Michelin’s part. Locks is more Wild Honey than stuffy formal dining, so great to see this type of restaurant get an award in Ireland.

The Greenhouse must be disappointed. On my two visits there, I was hugely impressed with Mickael Viljanen’s cooking. Maybe it’s too soon… or maybe Michelin is getting a little bit less Michelin and looking for a more relaxed vibe at one star level.

I think in the case of the Greenhouse it really was just too soon. They only opened in, what, April? Can't imagine they were actually expecting one. If they're not in next year, that will be a surprise/disappointment I think.

I'm surprised at Lock's, I have to say. I liked the restaurant certainly on my one or two visits, but it was never on my Michelin radar. Must go back.