• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
robert brown

El Bulli: 1998-2002

I don't recall it as being a lisp. Just different. Correct pronounciation?

Jason, you'll be comforted then by the CD-ROM--you can select either language!

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

That would be great. Any other FN coverage of el Bulli would probably be dreadful. You could make it work, either as ACT or an hour long special. :wink:

The thought of Tony Bourdain at El Bulli is like Jim Morrison wandering loaded through Beethoven's garden. There's must see TV.

Yes.

Welcome to eGullet, Spencer.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Great thread Robert! I cannot wait to get my hands on the English version (having slept through, what I believed at the time to be, Spanish class).

"An idealist is one who, on noticing that a rose smells better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup." - H. L. Mencken

The books is selected for the "Hall of Fame"  by the Gourmand International (Hall of Fame)

"The best," "the top ten" and most halls of fame lists will always be suspect to me, but I found the site fascinating. I noted a number of nominations (best book in the world, best chef book, etc.) for books written in Catalan. One can only wish Franco were alive to see this resurgence of the public face of a language. This is a testament to the culture as a whole, but also to the place Catalan cooking has in the world at this moment.

I'd also like to know more about the cookbook author described as "The Latin-America answer to Nigella Lawson" in the Spanish-Latin American entry for the Hall of Fame who, by the way is noted as having worked at El Bulli.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

It's good to see all this good-faith interest shown in Ferran's outstanding work. (As some of you know, he has been savaged a couple of times in the US...) Please allow me just one very small point: those who, when visiting Spain, choose to stay in Barcelona only, or perhaps do a Barcelona-San Sebastián duo, are sure to miss out on the greatest culinary explosion taking place in Europe right now! From a garlic-producing town in La Mancha called Las Pedroñeras to Ezcaray, a mountain village in Rioja, the scene is mind-boggling in the amount of creativity, talent and freedom to be found in so many kitchens. One day I'll explain 'the Christian Parra theory' for this new Spanish cuisine, but if I had to find one most important defining word, it would have to be 'freedom'. BTW, the scene in Madrid is undergoing the same type of deep-seated transformation as in Barcelona.

Edited by vserna (log)

Victor de la Serna

elmundovino

I just got my copy today via elBulli's website - took less than a week.

Very impressed - especially with the CD-Rom, which is truly astounding.

I like the little vanity feature of being able to wipe the 'blackboard' clean and write in chalk all over it.

Although the truly brilliant feature is the fact that almost every recipe Adria and his team have created since 1998 is available to study and print off. No secrecy here, just a willingness to share and educate. How refreshing.

It would be disappointing if they hadn't come up with as impressive a book as they have, but it's a breathtaking work nonetheless. I don't think I'd ever describe a cookbook as a 'page-turner', but this is awfully close.

Ready to order?

Er, yeah. What's a gralefrit?

Grapefruit.

And creme pot... pot rouge?

Portugaise. Tomato soup.

I'll have the gralefrit.

The cookbook just arrived today! It is incredible.

Now, for someone who is completely computer illiterate and doesn't read or speak one word of Spanish, how do I use the CD and what should I expect to see - pictures, words only?

Thank you, Robert for posting this.

Lizziee--have you figured out the CD-ROM and how to change between the different menus and formats?

Steve Klc

chef@pastryarts.com

OK--close all browsers and Word documents and e-mail screens but do not log out or shut down your computer. Put it in the CD drive and what happens?

Steve Klc

chef@pastryarts.com

Steve,

Thanks for walking me through this. That's not the problem. Stuff comes up; I get the long list of dishes, but that's it. Of course, I don't understand a word of the Spanish -- are there pictures attached to the list. Should I close everything down for more memory? I don't get a back function. I don't know what I am doing.

Here's what should happen:

Load the disk and "see" the disk on your desktop;

Doubleclick on it;

You should see a black disk in a dialog box with two file folders,

Doubleclick on the black disc;

You should see and hear a white screen with El Bulli 1998-2002 and then two black options--castellano and Catalan--click on one of these;

You should get the cool chalkboard;

From there click on Recetas would be easiest and most immediate;

Allow it to index and load for awhile--and then click on one of the many "indices"--in this case, try "fotos;"

Cool, huh? Every image for every dish splashed across the screen for all 4 years--all clickable.

To go back to the indices--see on the top line how it has "recetas fotos" or something like that--with recetas "lighter" than fotos which is darker? That means you are in 'fotos"--to leave fotos and go to another indice just click on 'recetas.' I'll have to do this just to make sure I'm remembering correctly.

But say you click on the group of 2001 photos instead--it will take you to a screen which says "recetas-foto-2001" across the top with even larger thumbnails--move your cursor over an image and it will appear in the large preview box--click on a numbered thumbnail which looks interesting and it will take you to the recipe--which is printable with one click. The top line now reads "recetas-foto-2001-receta" and to go back to select another recipe, just click on 2001--this logic is followed throughout. So you don't really have to know the words--work your way from left to right and back again to navigate.

To exit, click on Salir;

then click on the arrow;

then you should see the macromedia tag and you're out.

Did all that work?

I'm using a Mac but can get onto a PC if need be. For a PC they recommend Pentium III-128 MB RAM-Windows XP and 24 bit color but it should work on systems with less--the specs are on the page in the CD-ROM booklet. I'm using it just fine on a G3 600 MHz iBook with 640 MB RAM, OS 10.2.3 but with only 8 MB video memory--it certainly would run better on a newer processor.

Steve Klc

chef@pastryarts.com

I am on a Mac and I will have to try it again as I didn't see all your instructions until just now. I don't remember seeing fotos, but then again, I am really dumb at this. What does buscar mean? I did click on that and nothing happens. The only way I could unload was to turn off the computer. I can't believe how stupid I am at this.

However, I am having a wonderful time, using my own menus from El Bulli as a guide, searching out my favorite dishes in the book and salivating. Notwithstanding 2001, I was so blown away with El Bulli in 2000 that I could talk of nothing else for months. Plus every restaurant experience, afterward, was a let down. It is great fun to see what I raved about.

Steve,

As an aside, because we ate there 2 nights in a row, Adria did not serve us the regular menu the second night. Instead, he did a retrospective of his most famous dishes, a precursor of what he did this year.

What does buscar mean?

Search. Do you have a box to enter a term? Of course you'll have to enter the Spanish word, term or name of the dish or whatever it will let you search for.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

What would I do without you guys! Here I have spent $170 on a book/CD (postage from France was hefty) and I would be looking at a blank page on my computer.

I am going to try it again.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By kostbill
      Hello.
      I would like to buy some pectinex ultra sp-l.
      However I am worried about the temperature during the shipping time.
      I read that the storage temperature should be between 2 and 8 C. It works best from 15 to 50 C, and if it stays a lot of time in 25 C, it will gradually be deactivated.

It needs a week to come here (Greece), then will it affect its abilities?

Do you know if I can find a document somewhere that explains the gradual loss of power as a function of time and temperature?
      Did you have any experience with pectinex not working well due to bad storage?

Thanks.
    • By Galchic
      Hello, folks, thanks for reading.

My husband thinks, I should start selling my popcorn seasonings (which I make for my family), it’s a good product. But I'm not sure if it’s interesting to other people... So, what do you think, guys?

Our story: 
      We’ve bought an air popper machine, but popcorn came out pretty tasteless. Then, we’ve bought different “popcorn seasoning” mixes... But it always ends with all the seasoning at the bottom of the bowl. Then, we've added butter, oil and so on before seasoning...  we got soggy, chewy popcorn. Lot’s of disappointments…

When we almost gave up… the magic happened! I figured out the way to make seasonings that:
      Stick to popcorn, but not sticky to fingers (or T-shirt  , Easy to apply, May be pre cooked in bulk and stored… And popcorn appears crunchy, tasty, thoroughly covered with seasoning.  
      Sounds good, yep? Now, when I want to treat myself  - I only need 2 mins to turn tasteless popped popcorn to a real treat.  
      The only moment - it request 1 extra effort: after you toss it over popcorn, you need to microwave it for 1 min, and stir after.

So, I was wondering, if you like popcorn like myself - would this seasoning be interesting for you to purchase? Are you ready for a little extra work (microwave & stir) in the goal to flavor popcorn, or it feels too much effort?

As I have no experience in manufacturing and retail, your answers would help me to make a very important decision - to dive in or not... 

Thanks in advance for your answers, it means the world to me.

• By lindaj1
      Is there any recipe from the modernist universe or any other galaxy to make ketogenic (low carb) puff pastry and strudel type doughs?  Unusual ingredients OK.  There must be a way...
    • By haresfur
      I got to thinking after the disgusting job of separating globs of fat from sous vide short ribs and debating never doing them that way again. If the fat renders out in a braise, but not in the sous vide, what temperature would you need to turn the fat liquid to get rid of it? Is it below well-done or do you really have to cook the shit out of it? Is it just temperature or a time&temperature thing?

Along those lines, what happens with marbled, tender cuts? where is the sweet spot between solid fat and something more palatable?
    • By Daily Gullet Staff
      By John Sconzo

The Daily Gullet is proud to present this, the first in a multi-part, front-row report on the recent "Spain and the World Table" conference. Watch for subsequent installments in this topic.

In his introduction of Ferran Adria, Thomas Keller -- perhaps the most celebrated American chef ever -- described four elements that go into making a great chef. The chef must be aware. Once aware of one’s culinary and other surroundings that chef can then be inspired, which leads to the ability to interpret those surroundings. But a great chef does not stop there. Instead, the great chef continues to evolve. Ferran Adria, perhaps more than any other chef who has ever lived, is the embodiment of those four elements.

The moment that Ferran Adria strode towards Thomas Keller on the stage at the CIA/Greystone’s World of Flavors’ “Spain and the World Table” Conference was electric -- as if a giant Van de Graf generator had been turned on. The feeling didn’t subside when Adria took the stage from Keller; it only became more pronounced as the packed crowd rose to its feet, raining applause, admiration and love on the Spanish master. Adria accepted the response with aplomb, and gave it right back to the audience -- and to his fellow Spanish cocineros, who were standing off to the side. He brought each one up to join him on the stage for a rousing thank-you to the conference organizers, sponsors and participants. Once this emotional release subsided, Adria got down to what everyone had been waiting for -- his discussion and demonstration.

Ferran Adria, with eyes sparkling like the finest cava, began speaking Spanish in a voice as gravelly as the beaches of the Costa Brava, while Conference Chairman Jose Andres translated. The crowd, hushed and straining for every word, moved forward in their seats as Adria explained El Bulli and himself, with a lesson in recent culinary history thrown in. Ferran explained that El Bulli is not a business. While offshoots of El Bulli are operated on a for-profit basis, the restaurant runs without profit as a primary motivation. For example, he said, the greatest difficulty they have is distributing reservations. Given the extraordinary demand and the severely limited supply, he explained that they could simply raise the price of a meal to the point where the supply and demand met. Indeed, the price of a meal at El Bulli is in itself quite reasonable given the stature of the restaurant and well within means of most motivated diners should they be able to get there, and this is how Adria prefers it. He stated that he was not interested in cooking solely for those with the most money. He prefers to work for people with a true interest in exploring the limits of cooking with him. To this end he showed a short film depicting “A Day in the Life . . .” of El Bulli set to the Beatles’ song of the same name. The film showed a couple’s response to the experience.

Ferran’s voyage into creativity began with a visit to Jacques Maxima at Le Chanticleer Restaurant in Nice, France. He learned from Maxima that to be creative is not to copy. This idea changed his entire approach to cooking -- from making classic cuisine to making his own. Aware of elaborate books of French cuisine, Adria resolved to catalogue his work, the results of which are the richly detailed El Bulli books, published by period. These books, as wonderful as they are, are huge and extremely expensive. During his presentation, Adria announced -- and demonstrated -- that the individual dishes photographed and described in a chronology within each book are all now available online at elbulli.com.

He finished the philosophical discussion by talking about the general style of haute cuisine that he and others are engaged in. While others have coined the term “molecular gastronomy” to highlight the scientific component of the creativity involved, Adria rejected it, saying that all cooking is molecular: most of his techniques are in fact rather simple and don’t employ radical new technology. Most of the technology that they do use has been around for some time; they have simply adapted it to their own purposes. Nevertheless, he applauds contributions to gastronomy from Harold McGee and other food scientists, and welcomes their collaboration in the kitchen. He has yet to find a term that describes the movement: as of now, he feels that there really is no good name for this style of cooking.

More than any other single thing, Ferran Adria is known for the use of “foams” in cooking. While he is proud of his achievements with foams, he stressed that while appropriate in some circumstances, the real utility of foams is limited. He bemoans their ubiquity -- and wishes to not be blamed for others’ poor deployment of the concept. In the course of describing this and other techniques, Adria made a point of stating that using them should not be inferred as copying. Techniques and concepts are to be used and shared. He invited everyone to learn and harness whatever they found interesting, and to employ it in to their own pursuits.

Another set of techniques discussed and demonstrated by the master and his assistant, Rafa Morales from Hacienda Benazuza, included three types of spherification. These included the use of calcium chloride (CaCl) and sodium alginate as well as the converse, and exploration of a new agent, gluconodeltalactone. The original combinations of alginate into CaCl for “caviar” production, and CaCl into alginate for larger “spheres” have chemistry-related limits as to what can be sphericized. In private correspondence, Harold McGee explained to me that Adria described encapsulating a mussel in its own juice. While this would make the dish technically an aspic, unlike conventional aspics it remains a liquid. Adria said that though gluconodeltalactone is very new, and they are just beginning to get a handle on it, he is very excited by it. He also demonstrated a machine for spherification on a larger scale than they had originally been able to do, as well as liquid nitrogen and freeze-drying (lyophilization) techniques. At the conclusion of his demonstration -- and thus the Conference -- the audience once again awarded him a standing ovation.

While Adria’s appearance was the culmination of the conference, the energy it produced was not just because of his stature in the world of gastronomy -- it was also due to the excitement generated by the conference that preceded it. If there had previously been any doubt, Thomas Keller’s welcome of Adria was a clarion: Spanish cuisine has landed on North American shores and is finding a niche in the North American psyche. Spanish cuisine -- in its multifaceted, delicious entirety -- lives here, too.

+ + + + +

John M. Sconzo, M.D., aka docsconz, is an anesthesiologist practicing in upstate New York. He grew up in Brooklyn in an Italian-American home, in which food was an important component of family life. It still is. His passions include good food, wine and travel. John's gastronomic interests in upstate northeastern New York involve finding top-notch local producers of ingredients and those who use them well. A dedicated amateur, John has no plans to ditch his current career for one in the food industry. Host, New York.