• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

El Bulli: 1998-2002

robert brown

Someone was enquiring about The book by Oscar Caballero on El Bulli - it is out in English on 22nd June see www.thecookbookshop.co.uk :smile:

This looks great!

I'll be getting it, thank you!

2317/5000

• 3 weeks later...

Question for anyone out there who may be interested.

In the book they write about 'fizzy sherbets', in recipes,etc..

Would they be pop rocks?

Also, does anyone know of a source for neutral flavored pop rocks?

Thanks.

2317/5000

• 2 months later...
Does anyone know when the English edition of 1994 - 1997 will be published? I was too impatient to wait for the English translation of 1998-2002 and bought the Spanish version (which I can barely read). I finally broke down and got the English one last week from J. B. Prince. I'll try to be more disciplined and wait for the English editions of the remaining volumes.  :unsure:

For anyone interested, I've been commissioned to translate 1994-1997 into English and I started this weekend. The translation is scheduled to be finished during the first week of November, although of course it's anyone's guess as to when it will be published...

I'll keep the forum posted as to progress.

Martin

Does anyone know when the English edition of 1994 - 1997 will be published? I was too impatient to wait for the English translation of 1998-2002 and bought the Spanish version (which I can barely read). I finally broke down and got the English one last week from J. B. Prince. I'll try to be more disciplined and wait for the English editions of the remaining volumes.  :unsure:

For anyone interested, I've been commissioned to translate 1994-1997 into English and I started this weekend. The translation is scheduled to be finished during the first week of November, although of course it's anyone's guess as to when it will be published...

I'll keep the forum posted as to progress.

Martin

Thanks for the update, Martin. I'm looking forward to seeing this volume. This time I'll be patient and wait for the English edition. :smile:

This is great news, as some of my fave desserts are from this era as seen in Albert Adrias 'Los Postres de El Bulli'.

Only a few of those made it into '98/02'.

Can't wait for the English edition.

I pray the MAC version of the 'rom won't get screwed up this time.

2317/5000

Does anyone know where I can find the El Bulli cookbooks online or even a store in Chicago?

jbprince.com is probably your best (and cheapest) bet.

chipsbooks.com also.

It's a heavy hit $$$ wise but very much worth it.

2317/5000

• 2 months later...

Martin,

Is there any word on the English edition of 1994 - 1997? It still doesn't turn up on the U.S. vendors sites or on derecoquinaria.com , but I found a reference on Amazon.fr "Livres en Anglais" The ISBN number is 8478710795 and the price is listed as € 524,95. :shock: I certainly hope that the price is some sort of error in their database....

Edit: apparently my spell check doesn't know French.

Edited by edsel (log)

Martin,

Is there any word on the English edition of 1994 - 1997? It still doesn't turn up on the U.S. vendors sites or on derecoquinaria.com , but I found a reference on Amazon.fr "Livres en Anglais" The ISBN number is 8478710795  and the price is listed as € 524,95.  :shock:  I certainly hope that the price is some sort of error in their database....

Edit: apparently my spell check doesn't know French.

I understand from Juli Soler at El BUlli the release date for the English El Bulli 1994-1997 is now Spring 2005 (it was to be the end of this year origionally) and the price will be around £100 (140 euros) the same as the 1998-2002 edition.

Allison

• 1 month later...
All of the detail and work that went into this is so admirable...

My only disappointment was seeing that the recipes on the 'English/USA' track were given in volume, not metric.

Thankfully, the English/UK trak is all metric.

Sorry to come to this so late in the day. One has to check those conversions. I was eager to try one of the recipes using agar agar which I had never used before. I was using the English/USA track and something told me that the quantity of agar agar in the recipe seemed ridiculously large. Sure enough, when I double checked with the original Spanish I found there had been a huge error in the conversion. Since then whenever I have followed one of Adria's recipes I have done a double check. The English/British track is reliable as it is also in metric.

I blame our system of measurement rather than the translators. Volume measures (except for liquids) are my pet hate. They are painfully inaccurate.

Ruth Friedman

• 1 month later...

I posted this question elsewhere but thought it may get more attention here.

I've been going back to my copy of 98/02 over the last week and, for the 1st time really, dug into the guide.

They mention videos being on the cdrom of kitchen work, techniques, etc.

Is this true?

I can't find them using the search engine, "writing" on the chalkboard, nada.

Is this a "hidden" feature or is there a possibility that the guide was printed before they realised it was too expensive.

I would think that there would have been a discussion of them here somewhere.

Am I missing something or just plain dense?

Talk to me!!! :biggrin:

most appreciative!

2317/5000

I can't find the movies either, Ted. The book insert says of the CD-ROM:

In view of the fact that the production of this work is an on-going process, there may well be new ideas to complement those already existing.

My translation: The CD may or may not be finished by publication deadline. :raz:

BTW, "writing" on the blackboard - brilliant! I tried poking around in U.S., U.K., Spanish , Catalan, on both Windows and Mac. It never occurred to me to treat the movies like some sort of fortune cookie. Maybe you're on to something there.

Thanks for the input, edsel, but I think I got to the bottom of it.

I wrote them an email friday night, as a matter of fact, and received a reply this morning that the videos will be/are(?) on the 83/94 book cdrom.

So there we go!

Thanks again.

I can't find the movies either, Ted. The book insert says of the CD-ROM:
In view of the fact that the production of this work is an on-going process, there may well be new ideas to complement those already existing.

My translation: The CD may or may not be finished by publication deadline. :raz:

BTW, "writing" on the blackboard - brilliant! I tried poking around in U.S., U.K., Spanish , Catalan, on both Windows and Mac. It never occurred to me to treat the movies like some sort of fortune cookie. Maybe you're on to something there.

2317/5000

• 5 months later...
Has anyone heard when the 94-97 and 83-93 volumes will be released in English? The elbulli.com site still lists only Castellano and Català as options for those two.

Sorry - coming back late to this (very late!)

This year I have translated the 94-97 and 83-93 volumes into English, and am currently working on the 2003-2004 volume, which I hope to have finished by the end of October.

Will try and keep you posted.

Best wishes

Martin

• 2 months later...
Has anyone heard when the 94-97 and 83-93 volumes will be released in English? The elbulli.com site still lists only Castellano and Català as options for those two.

Sorry - coming back late to this (very late!)

This year I have translated the 94-97 and 83-93 volumes into English, and am currently working on the 2003-2004 volume, which I hope to have finished by the end of October.

Will try and keep you posted.

Best wishes

Martin

from the el bulli 2006 reservations thread:

Have not gotten a yes or no yet, but on another note I received an email from Juli Soler that the English edition of elBulli 1994-1997 will be available during the first few months of 2006 and the English edition of elBulli 2003-2004 will be available during the early Spring 2006.  Still hoping for a reservation for the 2006 season...

Martin,

saulbass' comment seems to indicate that you completed the 2003-2004 translation. Could you let us know when the books are published? Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Over the last few days, I tried a few simple things:

- Smith (an apple cocktail): the taste was good but I was not able to keep it from turning brown. Obviously that is the reason for putting the apple in boiling water ai first. However, the 5 seconds suggested was just not enough

- Soda siphon mojito: nice!

- blood orange foam: very good. I served it with a white chocolate ice cream

- beet ice lollipop: looked great but not very good

Just cant wait to try the hot mayo