• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Frozen yogurt - bobas?

Dejah

A yogurt chain - Tutti Frutti - has opened to a roaring business in our small city. SO easy to load up then gasp at the cost - 56 cents / oz...

There are loads of add-ons, but the one I love is called bobas. These are NOT tapioca balls found in boba tea, but little balls filled with juice. They are about the size of large tapioca balls. When you squish them against the roof of your mouth, a delicious little squirt of juice comes out.

I was told that these are shipped up from the USA.

Any idea what these are and if they can be purchased for home use?

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Looks like these are "caviar" spheres commonly found in Molecular Gastronomy. The ingredient list includes calcium lactate and "seaweed extract" which is sodium alginate. It's impressive that they're managed to industrialize this. To the best of my knowledge, nobody else sells these commercially.

PS: I am a guy.

At the Canadian Food and Restaurant Association expo last year Anna and I saw a commercial product at one of the vendors - small little caviar spheres in a variety of flavours in little cans as I recall.