• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rooh Afza, anyone use this stuff?

Hassouni

Has anyone used the Indo-Pak syrup Rooh Afza as a cocktail ingredient? I just picked some up, a bottle each of Indian and Pakistani varieties, and it seems like it could work very well - it's plenty sweet, and very intensely flavored, I was thinking like an exotic grenadine, perhaps?

Anyone tried this?

Best use for it, IMO, is for falooda. Mmmmmm....

As a drink, I have only drunk it mixed with milk (cold) or on occasion mixed into something lemonade-ish. Mixing it with alcohol seems a vaguely strange idea given its association as a non-alchohlic drink especially enjoyed by Muslims, but I suppose the choice is yours!

I love Rooh Afza, mixed into milk, or simply into ice water. I prefer the Indian variety for this. The Pakistani variety has a stronger rose flavor in my opinion. I'm not much of a cocktail drinker, but I think it would be fantastic used in small quantities. Have to watch out for the sweetness though.