• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Refrigerate a Kugel:

Shel_B

Yes! Chill and refrigerate as soon as possible.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I would think you really should refrigerate it. Potatoes are a moist low acid food and ideal breeding ground for whatever might want to replicate in them. Plus isn't there dairy that might go sour?

No dairy - potatoes, eggs, onions, matzoh meal, S&P. I refrigeraqted the kugel soon after reading the comments here. Thanks all!

... Shel

Good plan, Shel. Anything with eggs, no matter the other ingredients, MUST be refrigerated.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Anything with eggs, no matter the other ingredients, MUST be refrigerated.

That raises another question: What cooked items must be refrigerated?

The issue of eggs is interesting in that frequently people trave with unrefrigerated boiled eggs, such as when going to picnics, pot lucks, and other events. Should these eggs be refrigerated (especially if still in the shell), and if it's not necessary, why must eggs in some cooked items, such as my kugel, be refrigerated?

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

If eggs are still in the shell and kept relatively cool, they can survive longer without too much danger, but only a few hours.

On the other hand, you can put shelled hard-boiled eggs in a brine or vinegar (pickling) solution and keep them at room temp for extended periods.

When I was in my teens, I lived for a couple of years in a small village in Wisconsin. Every tavern in the area (there were plenty because it was a resort area with lots of lakes) had a big jar of pickled eggs on the bar or back bar.

I never partook.