• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Electric Buffet Servers 2012

Darienne

DH very much wants us to buy an electric buffet server. Currently there's one for sale at Canadian Tire (Canada), regularly $99.99 for $44.99. Seems to me it's something no one wants maybe?

Does not cook, one set of controls simply keeps food warm for up to 3 hours. Three compartments (2.5 litres/quarts, with see through covers (probably plastic. It doesn't say glass so it must be plastic), stainless body. Made by Betty Crocker.

Is it worth buying? Please keep in mind that we don't have all the American chains, like Williams-Sonoma up here to pick from. Or, we certainly don't have them where I live.

Thanks.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

As you know, I love gadgets and appliances, but while I do have a couple of these things (vintage) at this time in my life I rarely use them.

I used them a lot when my family was still intact at home, mainly for breakfast as it saved me having to repeatedly cook as the others got up at different times.

I used them for parties and had several for when I was catering.

I don't entertain as much as I used to so these only get out once or twice a year. The newer ones I have seen are not as versatile as the old ones that had a temp control - one has two temp controls and two water pans so a meat dish could be kept hotter and another dish less warm.

It also depends on the foods you like. Some do not take well to being kept warm - one gets a soggy effect and sometimes things dry out unless the covers are carefully fitted.

If you have lots of company and serve things buffet style, then it is a handy thing to have.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I don't have this exact thing, but before Christmas, I bought this. It's 3 slow cookers in one and each cooker has it's own temperature gauge. You can actually cook in them, but I just used mine to keep mashed potatoes, gravy and stuffing hot. I really liked it - it works great, only one cord and it looked a little neater than a bunch of slow cookers sitting on the table.

I got mine at Walmart and it was only $35.

Edited by Kim Shook (log)