• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Short Cuts in Cooking

Paul Bacino

So..I made Ghetto French Onion Soup.

Worth the post. I took " Kitchen Basics No Salt Beef Stock" I added some beef bones from dinner the other night.. Porterhouse and Prime Rib ( yes I embarrassed my niece ), put in fresh carrots, onions, leeks , celery parsley, pepper corns and simmered. cooled and strained. to this I added Home-made chxn stock, slow cooked onions and left over french bread that I made into croutons .. add Emmentaler Cheese and broil.

Totally worth it..for me today!!

6570416949_24a057db62.jpg

So my short cut today was starting with, a boxed stock, and working off that.

Its good to have Morels

Where I used to work (an island with prohibitively expensive freight costs) importing bones for stock was too expensive to be viable, so we basically braised lamb and beef in vegetable stock and then reduced that liquid to make our jus and glazes. To beef it up a little we often turned the braising liquid into a masterstock of sorts, adding orange juice and soy to give a meatier taste to the jus.

It's a bit of a shortcut, but the results were damn fine.

James.