• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pricing and measuring a whiskey pour for a charity event

Fat Guy

So I'm helping figure out bar stuff for a charity event. 5 bottles of Whistlepig rye have been donated. How do we sell it? In 1.5-ounce pours? More? Price at $15? More?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Hmm. I wasn't familiar with this brand at all. A Google search prices it at between $62 and $75 for a 750 ml bottle.

96 points Wine Enthusiast: "First, a warning: this is only for those who like their rye big and brawny. It starts off innocuously with a maple-syrup color, and a pretty, complex and subtle scent: honey, vanilla, a slight medicinal tinge and faint clover notes. It feels silky on the tongue and at first, the flavors reflect caramel, burnt orange and a whisper of smoke, but then a mouth-warming wave of tannic bite sweeps over all and lingers for a good long time. Straight up or on the rocks."

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Its NYC. A drink at Bemelmans is about ten bucks for 1.5oz.

Its for charity. Twenty bucks is nothing to give to charity and you are getting a drink too. Make it $30.

You just have to present the proposition properly.

2/20 sounds about right to me.

but the real issue is just because its a charity does not mean there will be an overflow of $$$$ going your way.

it depends on how much $$$$$$ your group has. not everyone in NYC sucks the juice out of Goldman/Sacks.

I think its key that the people that come feel respected. Being generous to them helps them to also be generous to the charity.

unless they group is a collection of billion-airs. then soak them. its very unlikely that they actually earned that first or second billion.

also some people might just be curious and ask for a 'taste' id be. i pretty much hate rye, but Id give it a try for a very small amount. for that amount the price is 'a donation'

Edited by rotuts (log)

Let's say Whistlepig is $60 a bottle from the distributor. That's about $2.40 per ounce. A typical costing formula might be based on a 20% ingredient cost. That works out to a charge of $12 per ounce. Meaning that it might sell at $18 for a 1.5 ounce pour or $24 for a 2 ounce pour.

There are a several ways you could play this...

On the one hand, you could decide to be generous since the booze was donated, split the difference and charge $20 for a 2 ounce pour.

On the other hand, you could decide that it's for charity and charge even more than $12 per ounce. So you could charge $20 for the 1.5 ounce pour, for example, or even $25. People aren't there buying drams of rye because it's cheap.

Or, on the other other hand, you could decide that people at a function like this aren't likely to tell the difference between a 1.5 ounce pour and a 2 ounce pour, and charge the full $18 for the 1.5 ounce pour. That will seem to most people like a better value than $20 for the 2 ounce pour, and the charity gets to make more money.

--