• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Packaging for Chocolatiers?

TexasFudge

Hello all; this is my first post and I want to thank this site for the wonderful information that I have received thus far. I am a chocolatier who has decided to take the leap and turn this into a full-time business. I have a game plan and have bought everything that I need slowly so that I have no debt. I have developed a small clientel that buy from me on a regular basis. What I want to do now is appeal to a bigger crowd with packaging that will attract them to try me out. So far, I've only bought candy boxes from papermart.com and they work okay for my molded chocolates. What I'm looking for is for the big candy bar boxes that the people from ghirahdelli use to package their bars. I am also curious as to where you all buy your boxes/packaging. I would love to have a box custom-made with my name and logo on it. Also, how much do you spend on your packaging? Thank you all in advance and I look forward to participating more in these forums!

Welcome TM - glad to have you on board. Here is a couple of threads to get you started. If you could link to the packaging you are particularly interested in - I'll bet someone could tell you where they are made.

Thanks Kerry for responding to my post. I saw some really pretty packaging in those threads but I didn't see any packaging for tablets. I was hoping to find a place that carried packaging similar to what ghirahdelli uses for their tablets/candy bars.

Tomric used to make a box for bars - kraft paper. I bought a bunch when they were on clearance last year. I suspect you might need to have them made custom.

When I venture in to chocolate (usually around Christmas), I have to have the boxes for my tablettes made custom by a local printer - I designed my own boxes, but if you're not graphically inclined, most printers offer graphic design services. That way you're not settling - you get exactly what you want.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

It's all a question of price.

Local suppliers don't make boxes, but stock the most popular sizes. Most of the stuff is made overseas.

Custom made is very possible but expect prices to be around 90 cents per box. Again as the volume increases, the price decreases, and most local companies are not interestred in "runs" of under 1000.

We now have 3 sizes of custom made boxes printed with our specs, but these were made overseas and shipped directly.

The sky is the limit on how much you want to spend on packaging. For some of the fancy retail chains, the cost of packaging exceeds the matierial cost of the chocolates.

Packaging sells, there is no question about that.

Unfortunately there are really not very many good stock options available. I recommend putting the investment in, and it is a sizable investment into custom packaging. It really takes some time in the beginning to figure out what product lines/mold sizes that you are going to proceed with, and you need to take the time to figure it out in the beginning because if not you'll ebd up with a few thousand worthless boxes, or be stuck selling a product line that's not performing.

I used Bryant Mark and Associates, I think from Maryland for my boxes, you can see at georgepaulchocolates.com

They were reasonably priced with a decent turn around time.

There is also Glerup-Revere in Seattle but the minimum is higher at about 2,500 per size.

I'd recommend finding a box you like (seems like you have), and narrow it down. For paper boxes I'd check out Universal Paper Box in Seattle. You'll need to narrow it down to an exact size and quantity you need to start getting your quotes.