• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Red/Orange fruit in Ourika valley

I'm recently back from a holiday in Marrakesh. While we were there, we took a day-trip up the Ourika valley to see the waterfalls there. On the way back, I noticed people by the side of the road selling a red/orange fruit in wee woven baskets. Each fruit was around the size of a lychee. Apparently it only grows in that valley.

I asked the guide what the name was, but he only knew it in Arabic or French (bangorse-phonetically in French if I remember correctly)

The driver wouldn't stop, so I couldn't buy any and I couldn't see any for sale in Marrakesh itself.

I'm just wondering what they were. Can anyone tell me?

Thank you for the welcome Darienne :smile: I was so childishly pleased to be accepted as a member! I'd read the site for a while, but had hesitated to apply.

Yes, it was a bit of a pain that he wouldn't stop, but to be honest, we'd managed to get a couple of cancellation seats on the bus, and most of the people there had paid full price. (I think it was attached to an hotel) So we didn't complain! :smile:

So much to ask about Marrakesh food though. I thought I'd researched pretty well, but there were lots and lots of very unexpected (and delightful) surprises.