• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The state of fancy sharpening gizmos in 2011?

Shalmanese

Generally speaking folks who use water stones either freehand (IMO the best way to sharpen) or on an expensive adjustable system, like EdgePro, loath pull-through gadgets, electric or otherwise.

The pull-through people usually find water stone based sharpening burdensome and reason their knives are sharp enough even though they may eventually ruin good knives.

It is my experience that many people have never used a sharp knife in their lives. "Not dull" does not equal "sharp." I've been to people's houses, where all they have are serrated knives -- and even those were dull. Hand them a sharp knife and a tomato and it is a revelation to these people.

Speaking in terms of gifts, and people with a vast collection of serrated knives; they may be amazed by the edge of a honestly sharp knife (or likewise, flavor from real stock), but chances are they aren't going to be converted to hobbyist-like obsession with stoning to a mirror finish (and you'll probably still find Chicken Broth in their pantry). Of course not every $20 sharpener is decent, or suitable to every knife, but would I give a Victorinox knife and a well-suited gizmo as a gift? Most definitely!

I'm a dedicated Edge Pro fan. However, I have a lot of knives to keep sharp because of those that I lend out in a volunteer kitchen as well as my own.

I would not recommend it, though, to someone who is not 1) willing to part with some cash for it; and 2) wanting to learn about edges and what it takes to create/maintain them.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

+2. I spent years freehand sharpening all my knives, and they were reasonably sharp. Since I got my EdgePro, I've found out how truly sharp knives can be.

I have great admiration for those who can keep a consistent angle while freehand sharpening. I'll never be one of them.

Larry

Larry Lofthouse

ditto what LN said.

EP is simply an 'upside down' stone system, where the jig 'holds' your knife at a steady angle and you move the stone over the knife at that same steady angle.

brilliant!

i believe that nothing can top it. it can be matched 'free stone' with great care, though.

:smile:

Edited by rotuts (log)