• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yogurt Goes With...

weinoo

As an ardent yogurt fan and someone who cooks East Asian food a lot, I don't see the two going together. Yogurt and soy sauce/fish sauce/miso/kimchi? Nooo thanks!

actually, yogurt and peanut butter are fab together. not kidding.

i typically eat yogurt plain.

as a condiment, set over a strainer in the frdige overnite - looses 30-50% of volume (water/whey).

take the remaining solids and add 1-2 cloves of finely minced garlic per cup, and plenty of black pepper, let sit for 2-6 hours at least, and you have a fabulous topping/sauce for lamb or chicken.

the "best" yogurt i've found is actually a sheeps milk yogurt from california (bellweather farms?), really tart, adult full flavor that I remember from my childhood, prior to all these faux yogurts with fruit and "additives".

Yeah plain yogurt for the win. The Turkish and Iranian brands are quite good (Choopan, Golchin, Sadaf, Yörük, Pınar, etc), very thick and tangy. I'll occasionally make a dessert by adding some chopped nuts or dates or honey or Iraqi date syrup (which is great stuff), but more often have it plain next to savory food.

Of course, labna, which is what Fage markets as "Greek yogurt" is one of my staple breakfast foods. Goes with EVERYTHING: tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, cheese, za'tar, jam, whatever you want. All you need to make it is a strainer and a coffee filter.

I know people buy coffee yogurt, but it tastes to me like someone poured gone-off milk into my cup. shudder.

Drain yogurt, add herbs, salt, pepper, shape, serve w crackers and smoked oysters.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

actually, yogurt and peanut butter are fab together. not kidding.

i typically eat yogurt plain.

as a condiment, set over a strainer in the frdige overnite - looses 30-50% of volume (water/whey).

take the remaining solids and add 1-2 cloves of finely minced garlic per cup, and plenty of black pepper, let sit for 2-6 hours at least, and you have a fabulous topping/sauce for lamb or chicken.

the "best" yogurt i've found is actually a sheeps milk yogurt from california (bellweather farms?), really tart, adult full flavor that I remember from my childhood, prior to all these faux yogurts with fruit and "additives".

Yup good stuff... reminds me of the artisinal Mexican yogurt you buy in bulk at the Cremerias (Dairy Shops)... their farm is 15 minutes from where we live & we buy their cheeses & yogurt at our farmer's market.

I have never liked the commercial Coffee flavored yogurts myself but after Andie's post about homemade espresso yogurt... I was inspired to give it a shot.

Boiled half a cup of home brewed coffee ( Masterpiece Roast blend of Kona & Jamaica beans a local Sonoma County coffee brand)... down until it was just two ounces, added two tablespoons of organic sugar to make a syrup

photo%252520%25252877%252529.JPG

Blended with half a cup Fage (BTW.. now that we are settled down after moving from Hawaii we are going to start making our own Yogurt this weekend)... voila

photo%252520%25252876%252529.JPG

This was delicious... if you like Tiramisu, Coffee Ice Cream or Fraps... you are going to like homemade Coffee yogurt.

• 5 months later...

bump

Flavored Fage with fresh oranges today.... REALLY delicious although the texture was basically Lassi with orange segments.

Juiced one Orange & stirred in 4 teaspoons of sugar... stirred in about a 2/3 cup of Fage... poured over two freshly diced oranges that were macerated with a little bit of sugar for a few minutes.... it was like a 50/50 Lassi... citrus & yogurt ABSOLUTELY go together.

A slight argument with my wife (Significant Eater) at yesterday's breakfast. We had a pretty standard breakfast including an egg sandwich (on a toasted bialy) and some cut-up fruit, including cantaloupe and apple. Which I topped with yogurt. That seemed to be the starting point.

She claimed yogurt doesn't go with apples. I said it does. Leading to this topic.

So, what does yogurt go with? And what should it absolutely not be paired with?

Cream of Wheat farina cereal. (It was one of my failed experiments at being a foodie when I was growing up; the other one I rarely talk about is pineapple and farina. There is a reason for that. :shock: )

A slight argument with my wife (Significant Eater) at yesterday's breakfast. We had a pretty standard breakfast including an egg sandwich (on a toasted bialy) and some cut-up fruit, including cantaloupe and apple. Which I topped with yogurt. That seemed to be the starting point.

She claimed yogurt doesn't go with apples. I said it does. Leading to this topic.

So, what does yogurt go with? And what should it absolutely not be paired with?

Cream of Wheat farina cereal. (It was one of my failed experiments at being a foodie when I was growing up; the other one I rarely talk about is pineapple and farina. There is a reason for that. :shock: )

Actually... Yogurt & Cream of Wheat work well... Griddle the Cream of Wheat into pancakes... top with thick yogurt & various savory topping combinations...

> Chives & Caviar

> Mex Chorizo sauteed with Mushrooms, Nopales, Beans or Potatoes

> Crisp Bacon & Pan Fried Ham

> Deep Fried Herbs

> A wide range of Mexican, Thai, Indian, Malay etc., sauces

Yogurt goes with almost everything. Except Foie Gras.

Or sukiyaki

I'd actually consider a yogurt smoothie as an accompaniment to sukiyaki, provided that it was sweet yogurt.

And thinking about it, I'd also like to retract my Foie Gras comment. I had some with a balsamic-yogurt reduction sauce the other day which was faboo.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Yogurt goes with hot wings/buffalo wings.

Doesn't go with soy sauce. Or hoisin. Or fermented black beans. Actually, I can't think of any Chinese dish that would go with yogurt.

Doesn't go with soy sauce. Or hoisin. Or fermented black beans. Actually, I can't think of any Chinese dish that would go with yogurt.

Actually.. in the Fujian province of China they make a tangy, very salty cow's milk cheese called Nguri which is used to condiment plain Congee... I could see a combination of Yogurt, Rice Vinegar & Soy Sauce working well with Congee as well.

In Yunnan they make a flat, leathery cheese called Rushan that is grilled then rolled with various syrups including Condensed milk... it would not be a stretch to blend Yogurt with Plum preserves or wine to make a dipping sauce for Rushan

Actually.. in the Fujian province of China they make a tangy, very salty cow's milk cheese called Nguri which is used to condiment plain Congee... I could see a combination of Yogurt, Rice Vinegar & Soy Sauce working well with Congee as well.

In Yunnan they make a flat, leathery cheese called Rushan that is grilled then rolled with various syrups including Condensed milk... it would not be a stretch to blend Yogurt with Plum preserves or wine to make a dipping sauce for Rushan

I thought about this a bit more after posting - changed my mind, sort of. I can see yogurt working with Chinese dessert-y applications - red bean soup, mango pudding, tapioca coconut soup, pastries & baked goods - that sort of thing. I can also see it as a substitute for mayonnaise in certain dishes that use it - seafood fruit salad, sweet sour pork chops w/ mayo (personally, I don't think mayo goes with those dishes either - bleeeehh!). Yogurt + plain white rice would be ok, as would be with curried things. Might also be fine as a dip for deep-fried spicy salt & pepper chicken/pork ribs.

I guess I was thinking more along the lines of "standard" Chinese dishes commonly found in restaurants. Yogurt + steamed scallion ginger fish? Ick! Yogurt + red braised pork? Eew! How about yogurt mixed in to chicken chow mein? Or with gai lan & beef? Vile! :raz: