• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Garlic smashed with salt

heidih

You don't want to leave fresh home made garlic and oil on the counter top for more than a couple hours or in the fridge for more than a couple days. http://www.stilltasty.com/fooditems/index/17236

Commercial garlic paste can last much longer. http://www.stilltasty.com/fooditems/index/17239

you could put a touch (very small) of pickling salt in it, it has nitrate in it, and it will kill the botulisim

bud

The stuff labelled by Morton as "Canning & Pickling Salt" is just plain salt with no anti-caking agents and certainly no nitrates or nitrites listed on any I have ever bought. In fact it says "Plain salt, nothing added" on the label. The dessicants added to table and kosher salts to help them pour freely can cloud up a brine that is heat-processed during canning. The other neat thing about it is that it is a fine enough particulate to make dissolving fairly large amounts of it in even cold water pretty easy.

But there are no nitrates, nitrites, or anything else that will in small amounts prevent botulism, at least not in what is available around here. Perhaps you were thinking of Tender Quick?

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

The only problem around here is the store bought stuff is terrible,,,wonder if there was a problem in Gilroy,that is affecting supply...stuff is either rotten,and moldy, or all dried out...

Bud

Costco here in Santa Cruz carries Christopher Ranch Organic tubs, and Gilroy is just down the road. It's always fresh, so it's possible that your bad stuff is a result of improper storage during shipping.

Im jealous, being that close to Gillroy ,,,The produce around here comes from who knows where,lotsa stuff from Mexico,

I assume that gilroy would be "the"place to get it but around here, who knows,,,

Bud

I hope Santa Cruz / Watsonville are different but in Sonoma County it seems that Chinese grown Garlic are the common "fresh" garlic product available unless noted otherwise (there are some local, heirloom garlic varieties available if you look hard enough)

Disclaimer: Please do not view the following as correct information. I am not an expert concerning the topic of anaerobic environment and botulism. You will need to do your own research.

I believe (for myself only) botulism poisoning is a very serious condition, but a very rare condition.

The peeled garlic is made by machine and cleaned. In making the paste, lots of salt is added. The whipping/chopping/blending of the garlic into a paste introduces a lot of air in the mixture, it is far from being anaerobic. The paste is immediately frozen. Overall, there are unlikely opportunities for the botulism microbes to grow.

When I cook with garlic, I fry the garlic paste to brown it first, and that it normmally much high than 212 F degrees.

I think (for myself) it is 100% safe.

dcarch

That is cool, and I don't mean to dissuade you at all.... the problem with botulism, as far as I understand, is not so much ingesting the bacteria but their waste which is a toxin that does not break down at cooking heats. If Botulism were to be present in an anaerobic environment it would produce deadly levels of toxins over time... and it is supposed to be impossible to detect by humans etc.,

You don't want to leave fresh home made garlic and oil on the counter top for more than a couple hours or in the fridge for more than a couple days. http://www.stilltasty.com/fooditems/index/17236

Commercial garlic paste can last much longer. http://www.stilltasty.com/fooditems/index/17239

you could put a touch (very small) of pickling salt in it, it has nitrate in it, and it will kill the botulisim

bud

The stuff labelled by Morton as "Canning & Pickling Salt" is just plain salt with no anti-caking agents and certainly no nitrates or nitrites listed on any I have ever bought. In fact it says "Plain salt, nothing added" on the label. The dessicants added to table and kosher salts to help them pour freely can cloud up a brine that is heat-processed during canning. The other neat thing about it is that it is a fine enough particulate to make dissolving fairly large amounts of it in even cold water pretty easy.

But there are no nitrates, nitrites, or anything else that will in small amounts prevent botulism, at least not in what is available around here. Perhaps you were thinking of Tender Quick?

no I was talking about Insta cure #2 and or DQ curing salt,,sorry for the error in not stating that,,

Bud