• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuttlefish stuffed with squid

ScoopKW

The absolute best meal of my life was in Italy -- a cuttlefish stuffed with chopped squid in a garlic sauce. I've been chasing this dragon for a very, VERY long time. I was a kid and I don't even know the name of the trattoria. But I can still taste it like it was yesterday's dinner. Without a doubt, it's the meal that set me on this path.

I can score cuttlefish from my local Asian market, so that part is easy.

The problem is the timing -- the squid need to be cooked quick (otherwise it has that murky deep sea taste, the dish in question was certainly sautéed in a very hot pan for a couple minutes, tops), the calamari has to be cooked slow so it's almost fork tender.

Next time I attempt this, I'm going to sous vide the cuttlefish, stuff it with sauteed squid, and give the whole shebang a quick sear.

If anyone is saying, "oh yeah, I know this dish," please, please, please reply.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe