• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gum Arabic

TylerK

I recently and accidentally bought a small jar of gum arabic when I was trying to pick up some citric acid powder. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post my question, but since I do desserts and confections more than anything else I figured I'd post it here.

What can I do with the stuff? Is it a reliable substitute for other gelling agents like gelatin, pectin or agar? If so, is there a conversion ratio between them? There seems to be very little information on the web.

If anyone could point me to a recipe, it would be greatly appreciated.

It's used to make gomme syrup for cocktails, I like it as a general sweetening syrup for cold non-alcoholic drinks, too. It can be used to thicken royal icing, and, some people use it as a substitute for gum tragacanth in making gumpaste for sugar flowers, etc. but, the texture is not as good.

It is occasionally used in commercial ices creams. A few candies use it as well.

You can use it to varnish your nuts. Makes 'em shiny and protects them without changing the flavor.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Along with making your nuts shiny - which is what I use it for most - you can use it to make the gomme syrup mentioned above. You can dip grapes or clusters of red currents in it - then roll in sugar to make a decoration for the top of a dessert.

Check out recipes for Middle Eastern sweets. When I googled around, this webpage had some Lebanese desserts containing gum arabic.

http://www.habeeb.com/Lebanese-food/Lebanese-recipes.12.html

If you can find a copy of Paula Wolfert's Couscous and Other Good Food from Morocco, there's a recipe for "The Snake," or M'hanncha, a coiled up pastry cake of phyllo dough and almond paste, with a little gum arabic in it. Chicken with Onions (Djej Bisla) has a pinch of gum arabic as a mystery ingredient.

Thanks for all the replies. It is much appreciated, and I will definitely read through those threads.

It was mentioned by Lisa in the first reply that it can be used for candies. Do you have any more information around that?

As noted above, there are several candies popular in the middle east that are made with gum arabic.

A few years ago I posted this recipe for Lakhoum which lists gelatin/agar agar or guar gum and you can substitute gum arabic.

You can use it in any of the "gummi" type candies, substituting it for other thickening agents.

It is used to make vegan marshmallows where neither eggs nor animal-based gelatin is desired.

Detailed instructions for candied flowers.

Years ago I used to buy a lot of it for artwork as it can be used to produce a thick paint from powdered pigments, that retains its shine after drying and it is an excellent base for gold leaf in paintings.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Lisa - Thanks for the link to the cookbook. Very interesting to see recipes from that far back.

andiesenji - What role does the additional gelatin/agar agar/guar gum/gum arabic play in your turkish delight recipe? The other recipes I have seen for this contain only corn starch. When I was young (13ish) my family lived in France for a while and my dad would regularly travel to Greece for work. Every time he returned he'd bring back a pan of freshly made moussaka and a large box of turkish delight, so I have some very fond memories of this candy.

It seems from the cook book link and from reading through the recipe for gomme syrup that a much higher ratio of gum arabic is required compared to other gelling agents. Is this correct? If so, I'm tempted to either try the turkish delight recipe or stick to the gomme syrup.

Thanks again for all the input and advice.

The traditional recipe for lakhoum did not contain corn starch because it was not available in the middle east until fairly recent times.

The other gelling agents produce a clearer, more stable candy that is less subject to breakdown in warm conditions.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett