• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What knife is this?

rotuts

I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that it's one of these, though I don't know which one: http://www.denby.co.uk/new-cookshop/knives+blocks/icat/knives/

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

I have a Denby paring knife a friend sent me in a goody box after she visited with me for a couple of weeks while in SoCal while judging at some dog shows a few years ago.

It holds an edge quite well but I have a plethora of knives and mostly forget it is there so don't use it much.

It has the "easy grip" handle, which I like, especially when working with slippery stuff like mangoes, peaches &etc.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Judging by the fact that their specialty seems to be cookware and tableware (i.e. not cutlery), that their 5 piece knife and knife block set is half the price of a semi-decent Japanese 24cm gyuto, and that none of the three main kitchen knife forums has any info about the brand, I would hazard a guess that the chef in question is merely using it as a cheapo beater knife. (A guess that's supported by how he or she appears to be cutting on a metal surface.)

Edited by kayu (log)

"Sauce separates you from the money. Make a good sauce, you make the money."

-- James Willis

well this knife is quite inexpensive

these chef at GBM are on the top of their game. if you have not seen this show you may trust me on this.

It would be difficult for me to go back and see who had this knife.

but all other things aside they had this knife because it suited them.

remember it might be the edge.

I was very surprised it was so """inexpensive"""

these chefs can get what ever they want

and they do not get 500 ++ hand made knives

of course after the Razor's edge they start with stuff we cant get!

find Great British Menu and watch a few eps

seen on Great British Menu. a 'Must-See' cooking show from GB:

Id like to know the full name of this knife. sort of a hobby of mine to see prof. chef's knives

"High Carbon S/S 9" Carving Knife" - The text on the blade is not that which appears on their 'Easygrip' range, the text comes far enough down the blade to exclude their 'Cook's Knife', and there appears to be too long a section of edge parallel to back for any of the small knives.

[doffs Deerstalker and waits to be shot down, grinning]