• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

There is no edit history to show, or this comment was edited by a moderator.

• Similar Content

• By Darienne
      So I am gluten-free for a month anyway...along with sugar-free, dairy-free, coffee-free...and so far so good...except for the bread part. 

Ed bought two kinds of gluten-free bread for me to try last week at a regular grocery store in Ontario.  The whole grain bread was from Little Northern Bakehouse and it was awful, both untoasted and toasted.  The sandwich bread was from Glutino...now there's an appealing name...and it was even worse.

Is there such a thing as a passable...not good...just passable...gluten-free bread to buy in a grocery store in Ontario?  No American brands need apply...I won't be able to buy them in East Central Ontario in a small size city.

Thanks. 
    • By DianaM
      Host's note: this is part of a large topic that has been split into smaller segments to reduce the load on our servers.  The previous segment may be found here: The Bread Topic (2015-2016).

I've been trying to settle on a formula for a nice, basic, no frills sourdough which my friends (with zero interest in whole grains) can enjoy, and I think I've found my winner in a country white (10% w/g spelt) with 80% hydration. Mild, mild sourness despite the 12 hour cold proof. I want to try holding back some of the water to see if I can achieve better loft, but otherwise, I am happy with the formula. 

• By Mutleyracers
      Hi all. I hope you are well. I am just into baking bread due to lockdown and need help. Ideally I would like modernist bread but the wife is not quite agreeing to that yet. So I would like some where to start for now until she comes around to the idea. After she has tasted all my amazing breads I make. 

I would like this to be in metric rather than imperial.

Thank you 
    • By Mutleyracers
      Hello everyone. I hope you are all keeping well in these strange times. 

I am Lee. I live in the UK and have been on lockdown since the 16th of March. Like many people I have started getting into bread from listening to the modernist bread podcast. Now i don't have the book (wife won't let me yet, but i am working on it. So I have been trying bread recipes online. I have a Combi Steam oven which I use but all my loaves end up a little sticky in the middle. I have tried a basic white bread loaf with Diax and Jim Lahey's no knead in a pyrex dish. 3 x each so far and they are all a little sticky in the middle. When I squeeze the bread innthe middle it springs back a little but could be turned into a dough ball i think. 

Any way, I have come on here in search of advice.

Kind regards Lee 
    • By curls
      Couldn't find a topic devoted to sourdough discard cooking, so thought I would start one and see how much interest it would generate. Moderators, if there is a topic, please merge.

Recently I have begun making sourdough bread and am caring for a sourdough starter. Since there is currently some difficulty finding flour (due to COVID-19 related supply chain issues, etc.) I don't want to throw out any of my sourdough starter. I am also following guidance from King Arthur Flour and Cooks Illustrated for working with a small sourdough starter (10 g. flour | 10 g. water | 10 g. sourdough starter) and using recipes that use smaller amounts of sourdough starter or only building my starter up if called for by a recipe.

I have made the following recipes and would make them again:
      - King Arthur Flour sourdough discard crumpets. https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/sourdough-crumpets-recipe
      - King Arthur Flour sourdough discard waffles. I used a mix of yogurt & milk instead of buttermilk but otherwise made the recipe as written.  https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/classic-sourdough-waffles-or-pancakes-recipe

What are you doing with your sourdough discard?