• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christmas & Winter Beers....

tighe

Evidently "steam" doesn't refer to the way the beer is brewed.  Take a look at

Anchor Brewing homepage

I think you might have misunderstood their website. Today, at least amoungst the homebrewers I know, a "steam" beer usually refers to a lager yeast used to ferment the wort at warmer temperatures then you would use for an actual lager (vs. an ale). Sometimes it gets called a "California common" instead of "steam".

regards,

trillium

I think you might have misunderstood their website. Today, at least amoungst the homebrewers I know, a "steam" beer usually refers to a lager yeast used to ferment the wort at warmer temperatures then you would use for an actual lager (vs. an ale). Sometimes it gets called a "California common" instead of "steam".

But to the best of my knowledge, this method is only used in the flagship Anchor Steam - not in Liberty Ale, Old Foghorn, or any of the other varieties of Anchor beer.

"Long live democracy, free speech and the '69 Mets; all improbable, glorious miracles that I have always believed in."

• 2 weeks later...

Bridgeport (Portland, Oregon) has stopped making Ebenezer, their winter beer and my personal favorite. I've managed to grab a couple of cases so far, but if you like it act fast.

Last year I stuck a case out in the garage and saved it for summer...even though this malty, dark brew is meant for cold weather, it tasted great.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

I'm shocked at the accolades for ANYTHING made by Pyramid, since most of their beer is swill. Guess I will have to buy ONE bottle and try it.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

We all enjoyed some fantastic Swedish Glog on Christmas Eve......served warm with golden raisins floating in it. This was a gift to us from our Swedish visitor, Eva. It is a very relaxing and soothing drink; I think we will start a new tradition and have it every Christmas Eve.