• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

London Good Grub Recommendations

Hey Guys,

I am traveling to London at the end of the month with my Father. Now when I am in london I always try and visit some of top places, last time I managed to squeeze in Bar Boulad, The Square, Sketch, Dinner by Heston in a 2 day trip!, Yes my waist is still expanding from it lol.

However my Father is not a fan at all of pretentious places and small portions, he likes something thats abit substantial. Now I dont want to really waste a restaurant visit to go to a local chain bistro etc, so I was wondering if any one had any advice for a restaurant where you get the little touches such as amazing selection of breads, canapés, petite fours.... So I can show him something different and special and what I like, but still have the main food substantial.

OH and if the desserts are good that would be a great HELP! Or even better would be a dessert tasting plate for 2, as he would eat this to himself easy!

I have and wanted to try and get a table at Harwood Arms as this is the food I would be aiming for but they are fully booked for the 30th April :(.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mjx - Matutu had actually posted his thread to the UK dining board (and is also trying to find a different style of restaurant than the thread you linked to). :smile:

Edited by Harters (log)

John Hartley

Mjx - Matutu had actually posted his thread to the UK dining board (and is also trying to find a different style of restaurant than the thread you linked to). :smile:

Oh, I know. About which board this is, I mean :smile: But looking at what's already here gives Matutu something to browse while waiting for specific responses to this topic, and, from what I recollect, a quite varied array of recommendations were made in that topic (it was the most recent), some of which are likely to suit his father's tastes, and Matutu's, too.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org