• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bulk peanut oil

Dryden

So, we recently used up a 5 gallon jug of peanut oil that we got from who knows where, and trying to replace it has been darn near impossible, seems like everyone only sells little itty bitty jars of peanut oil until the 4th of july comes around. Does anyone know where to get some? We are in Manhattan and don't have access to a car...

Thanks!

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

Almost all the "supermarkets" in Chinatown sell large size oils - though 5-gallon may be pushing the envelope. Corner of Elizabeth and Hester there's one. There's another with an entrance underneath the Manhattan Bridge on Henry Street. I don't remember the names of most of these places, but it's either the Hong Kong Supermarket or Dynasty.

I wonder if you can just pop into one of the hundreds of distributors in Chinatown (like the one on Ludlow between Delancey and Broome - you can't miss it, it's just across the street from the municipal parking lot) and just pay cash for one. I see the big cans/buckets piled up on fork lifts day in and day out. And then grab a cab, because it's got to weigh 50 pounds.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?