• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What else can you use your machines for?

annachan

I walked by a crepe stand at the farmers' market the other day and made me think of my crepe maker. I thought it would be nice to use curry as a filling as I glanced at the Indian food stand. Then I thought, can I make dosa on my crepe maker? I haven't tried it yet but it seems to be a good idea. Any thoughts?

Then I thought about making my own dumplings (Chinese dumplings). I don't care for the package wrappers but I really don't care to use a rolling pin to roll out dough. I have been thinking of getting a pasta machine and wonder if I can roll out dough for dumplings with it. Anyone tried?

Anyone out there use their gadgets for purposed other than what they're intended for?

I use my pasta roller to roll very thin cracker and cookie dough. I use my pasta extruder to shape unleavened bread dough to decorate the top of holiday loaves of bread. I roast big batches of peppers in the fall in a grill basket with a weed burner. I guess a weed burner isn't really a kitchen gadget. :wink:

I use my pasta roller to roll very thin cracker and cookie dough. I use my pasta extruder to shape unleavened bread dough to decorate the top of holiday loaves of bread. I roast big batches of peppers in the fall in a grill basket with a weed burner. I guess a weed burner isn't really a kitchen gadget. :wink:

Great ideas! Another reason to get a pasta roller!

Juicer (masticating, not centrifugal!) for stuffing sausages.

Not terribly successful, but rather better than using a finger ...

• Like 1

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

The milk steamer on the espresso machine not only makes frothy milk for cappuccino and excellent hot cocoa (just combine cocoa, sugar and milk in a cup and steam), but is useful for quickly bringing a pot of milk up to a near boil for things like oatmeal as well, before adding oats and transferring the pot to the stove.

Edited by David A. Goldfarb (log)

I have been thinking of getting a pasta machine and wonder if I can roll out dough for dumplings with it. Anyone tried?

Wonder if you could use a tortilla press, too.

I use a heating pad when I make yogurt. Garlic press for extruding dough for cookie decorations (great Santa beard).

There are some classics: glasses as biscuit cutters, rolling pins for crushing nuts, dried bread or crackers into crumbs, Braun coffee grinder for small amounts of nuts and spices, etc.

I have been thinking of getting a pasta machine and wonder if I can roll out dough for dumplings with it. Anyone tried?

Tortilla press....interesting! Wonder if I can find one around here and how much they go for? I should have gotten one while in the US and sent it over with my shipment....

Tortilla press....interesting! Wonder if I can find one around here and how much they go for? I should have gotten one while in the US and sent it over with my shipment....

they are cheap, around $20, and you should be able to order one online, I would think

Fireworks Foods sell them - $21.95 each.

I've used my pasta roller for making flatbreads more than pasta. This one works especially well, and makes lovely long flatbreads that look just like the ones that cost $13 for a small pack at DJs Food Hall. I've experimented with a yeasted crispbread as well, but it's not quite as successful. I plan on trying a scandanavian rye cracker soon and might get out the roller for that as well. This could be related to my lousy dough rolling skills...

I've also seen a recipe for a sort of polish crostoli which recommends using a pasta roller.

A Le Crueset frying pan has been used as an ersatz baking stone too - I got the idea from the NYTimes no-knead bread. I use parchement, and usually remember to remove the paper after the dough has set.