• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

lmarshal1

lmarshal1

additional question to add

Can't believe ten years have passed since I was here looking for a cookbook for beans and grains.  Just today I made Priest's Soup from The Versatile Grain and the Elegant Bean cookbook.  The soup's main ingredient is brown lentils.  I added Mexican seasonings, diced celery and carrots, and a handful of leftover ham bits, but otherwise stuck to the recipe.  Very tasty.  Neither my husband nor I am pleased with some of our medical numbers from recent check-ups, so...out came the grain/bean recipes.  I plan to try more lentil recipes as well as become acquainted with grains and beans I have never tried.  Any suggestions for basic recipes?  I already use a variety of beans, and we often have brown rice or barley.  I add oats to anything I can think of.  I love the above cookbook and have used it several times, but it generally is far from basic.  Found a container of buckwheat flour in the freezer.  Uses other than pancakes?  lkm

lmarshal1

lmarshal1

Can't believe ten years have passed since I was here looking for a cookbook for beans and grains.  Just today I made Priest's Soup from The Versatile Grain and the Elegant Bean cookbook.  The soup's main ingredient is brown lentils.  I added Mexican seasonings, diced celery and carrots, and a handful of leftover ham bits, but otherwise stuck to the recipe.  Very tasty.  Neither my husband nor I am pleased with some of our medical numbers from recent check-ups, so...out came the grain/bean recipes.  I plan to try more lentil recipes as well as become acquainted with grains and beans I have never tried.  Any suggestions for basic recipes?  I already use a variety of beans, and we often have brown rice or barley.  I add oats to anything I can think of.  I love the above cookbook and have used it several times, but it generally is far from basic.  lkm