• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Old-fashioned Italian bread in Manhattan

BrooksNYC

(Please forgive the double post if you've already read this on Chowhound.)

I'd appreciate your help in tracking down old-fashioned NYC Italian bread.

I'm about to make a New Orleans bread pudding, which calls for traditional New Orleans French bread. NOLA French bread is thin-crusted, and has a light, airy crumb.

When I moved to NYC in 1970, I used to make this recipe with NYC Italian loaves. While not as light as New Orleans French, Italian bread was a credible stand-in. Most importantly, the crust (sometimes sprinkled with sesame seeds) was neither too thick nor too chewy. Thick, chewy crusts or a chewy crumb make for a dense, heavy pudding.

Do any Manhattan bakeries still sell old-fashioned Italian bread? It used to be everywhere, but I haven't seen it in ages. Crusty "artisan" breads are easy to find, but I'm searching for a lighter, humbler loaf.

Thanks for the help.

Those damn artisinal bread bakers :wink: .

I know exactly the loaf you reminisce about and my supermarket actually sells a very similar loaf that they get delivered on a daily basis.

DiPalo's has what would be considered a "classic" NYC style Italian bread both with and without sesame seeds.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Lemme just say fuh da record: Artisanal bread is, in my opinion, one of the greatest things ever to happen to this island. Ain't knockin' dem artisans! :biggrin:

I just need a fluffy old-fashioned loaf for a fluffy old-fashioned recipe.

I should have remembered DiPalo's, and thanks for the prod. It didn't pop to mind because the last time I bought Italian bread, it was readily available everywhere. It vanished from my neighborhood supermarkets years ago, and places like Zabar's are doing that artisanal thang.

....both with and without sesame seeds

Even better without sesame seeds. Excellent! Thanks so much, Mitch.