• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pastry Cream recipe conversion

tmriga

I have the following formula for Strawberry Pastry Cream, and I am seeking opinions as to whether it would work if I used other fruit purees. I am particularly interested in pineapple, peach, citrus (orange, lemon, lime) and coconut. Also, with the coconut, would cream of coconut work instead of a puree, or would there be too much liquid/fat content?

Strawberry Pastry Cream

Eggs, yolks 4 ea.

Eggs, whole 2 ea.

Cornstarch 3-1/2 oz.

Granulated sugar 4 oz.

Whole milk, hot 1 qt.

Butter 2 oz.

Vanilla 1/2 oz.

Strawberry puree 3 oz.

Sugar 4 oz.

Thanks, all!

Theresa :smile:

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

- Abraham Lincoln

The pineapple would have to be cooked to destroy the bromelain enzyme.

For citrus, I wouldn't use juice, because of the danger of curdling and because the juice isn't as flavorful as the rind. I'd use a regular pastry cream formula and toss some citrus peels into the milk as it heats. That said, lemon (or other citrus) curd is very similar to pastry cream, it just doesn't contain any milk/cream -and it is very delicious. I'd make lemon curd instead of lemon pastry cream, but, orange peels infused in the milk would be very tasty.

I have no idea about the coconut issues.

I have made coconut pastry cream before, unfortunately I don't have a recipe but I think I just used a regular formula and subbed some of the milk for coconut cream. From memory, the effect was nice. I think I added a little bit of coconut extract at the end because I had wanted a bit more coconut flavour. Next time I'd probably try infusing the whole mix with some dessicated coconut as I heated it as well.

I make coconut pastry cream all the time with UNSWEETENED coconut cream instead of milk. You can you full fat coconut milk too but it can be less coconutty.

It will work with other stone fruit, berries and relatively non-acidic fruits. However, some will be more muted than others. I have found roasting peaches helps. Also note that the color of some fruits changes to brown and the pastry cream won't help oxidation for some very vulnerable fruits.

Sheryl Davies

www.breakingbreadblog.com