• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Old confit - would you eat it?

abadoozy

Found in the bottom of the fridge: a package of duck confit that I made at least 6 months ago, maybe longer. I did them sous-vide, and they're still in the sealed plastic package. No sign of decay or leakage at all. Not fully covered in fat as you can get away with very little when sous-viding them.

I did not use any preservatives - no pink salt or the like.

So... do I use them? They look OK, they're definitely still sealed, and I'm tempted. But would rather avoid food poisoning if there's a risk. I ate another package made at the same time maybe 3 months ago, no clue how this package got lost in the bottom drawer, under the bacon and cheese and various other cold-storage items.

Thanks for the replies. Good idea on boiling it for a while.

I'm leaning towards eating it, especially since my husband, who will barely eat any leftover that's been in the fridge longer than 2 days, says he'd eat it.