• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Iced Green Tea, Panera Style

Shamanjoe

Has anybody tried the iced green tea at Panera? I went there the other day to get one of their wonderful turkey clubs, and decided that an iced green tea sounded great to accompany it.

It was slightly brighter green in colour than I expected, but I really didn't think anything about it. When I took a sip however, wow! I nearly choked. I'm not sure they use any actual green tea in it. The best comparison I can make is to the Starbuck's green tea frappucino. In its original formulation, they used to add 4 measly scoops of macha powder, and sweeten it with melon syrup. I finally learned to order it with double macha and no melon, but the first one I tried was horrid. The iced green tea at Panera reminds me of this.

There might be some green tea in there somewhere, but it's drowned under some sweet, flavoured syrup. Has anybody else tried it, and what do you think of it?

"...which usually means underflavored, undersalted modern French cooking hidden under edible flowers and Mexican fruits."

- Jeffrey Steingarten, in reference to "California Cuisine".