• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"New" onions?

hansjoakim

Hi all,

I'm looking at Robuchon's recipe for salmon au champagne (from the Complete Robuchon), and the ingredient list calls for "new onions". What exactly is a "new onion"? I'm not very well versed in the English culinary vocabulary, so I wanted to run this by you before doing something awfully stupid in the kitchen... Could it be another name for green onions?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Hans -

As I understand it, a "new onion" is a young onion. In other words, the "bulb" part is bigger than a green onion, but not as mature as what you might think of the "classic" onion.

http://www.dreamstime.com/theyoungonion-image262598

I have seen them with bigger bulbs than the picture at that link. They tend to be a lot sweeter and milder than the classic onion.

V

I can get them at the local Mexican food market, in season. The top looks like a green onion, but the bulb is much more developed, maybe up to 2" in diameter. They have a stronger flavor than green onion, yet retain the fresh 'green' character so they are different from completely mature storage onions.