• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The quintessential steakhouse

I've been thinking about an old episode of "Hell's Kitchen" I saw where they turned the restaurant into a steakhouse. I can't remember what they had specifically on the menu, but I began to think about the big 80's phenomenons that you don't see anymore. So I'm here to see how many you guys can remember and help me make my quintessential steakhouse menu. This is purely for recreational purposes. I have no intention of opening a steakhouse.

Starters

Shrimp Cocktail

Caesar Salad

The Wedge

Cobb Salad

Do they serve soup at steakhouses?

Sides

French Fries

Onion Rings

Sauteed Mushrooms

Pearl Onions?

Dessert

Chocolate Brownies

Black Forest Cake

Sundaes

Anything else I'm missing? Or is there anything on there that doesn't belong?

bork bork bork

Tomato & onion salad, home fries, and french onion soup

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Shrimp cocktail

Broiled Bacon

Tomato and Onion Salad

Lamb Chops

Caesar Salad

Iceberg Wedge with Roquefort

Raw Oysters

Steak

Lobster

Frites

Baked Potato

German Fried Potatoes

Onion Rings

Creamed Spinach

Sautéed Mushrooms

Something Green (usually Broccoli or Asparagus)

--

Starters

Do they serve soup at steakhouses?

Absolutely: they're not just an appetite stimulant, but very natural when you're doing in-house butchering and have bones and scraps to make into fine broths to sell.

Except, of course, for the LG Prime steakhouse group (around Palm Springs). Owner Leon Greenberg imposed certain eccentric personal tastes on his restaurants, including no soups (he doesn't personally like them), I'm told. And I always thought successful businesses catered to their customers' tastes, not their owners'. I wonder if Harvard Business School knows about this case.

Food-historical trivia: Soups were the original evening meal of Western civilization, source of French word "souper," English "supper."

Gorganzola Salad

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Thanks for all the responses. Does clam chowder come to mind when you go to a steakhouse? It didn't really for me, but it was the most "American" soup I know so I thought it might be.

bork bork bork

Does clam chowder come to mind when you go to a steakhouse? It didn't really for me, but it was the most "American" soup I know so I thought it might be.

I've had occasion to visit many popular US steakhouses in the last few years, both independent and chain. They might offer clam chowder, or sometimes lobster bisque, especially on Fridays, or when featuring seafood specials. Those are relatively rich or filling soups, distinct from the clear beef-broth-based soups I mentioned earlier -- "French" onion soup is the utter classic -- exploiting the meat trimmings and bones that are normal by-products anyway in a steakhouse kitchen. Which can make some very good clear soups indeed.

Do all classic steakhouses have those clunky, plain white dishes in which they plop whatever's been ordered?

I've been to alot where they bring the steak on a small cutting board with a carved out groove to catch all the blood.

bork bork bork

The best steaks I've ever eaten were at Doe's Eat Place in Greenville, MS. There, you never know what sort of platter will be used to plate your steak. It's usually some vintage Corelle or Melamine thing. But, with steak that good, who cares? Doe's may not be a quentissential steak house, but it's rightfully semi-famous. Our typical meal there was a sirloin for 4 with garlic, preceded by tamales and chopped salad, with fries on the side. I loved walking into the place through the kitchen and seeing those steaks under those flaming broilers. Good times... haven't been there for many years.