• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buying Groceries at the Pet Store

An old friend from high school recently shared with me her travel piece about eating in Peru. I never heard of cuy -- aka Guinea pig -- or how popular it is in South America. Since I'm not likely to fly to Lima any time soon, I began to wonder how I could experience such a delicacy. Turns out, there are people raising "meat cavies" in Montreal and New York City, to name just two.

As I was browsing critters with the kids at Petcetera -- the cleverly named Canadian retail chain for pets and pet supplies -- I began to think of the possibilities . . .

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

You'd have to buy all the fish in the store to feed one person a tiny serving.

My Petcetera stocks a carp-like fish that appears to be a good 3/4 lbs.

And they've got rabbits.

Moe Sizlack

My guess is that petstore animals aren't very good eating. They haven't really been bred or raised for that. But that's just a guess. I'd be up for a blind comparative tasting.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

My guess is that petstore animals aren't very good eating. They haven't really been bred or raised for that. But that's just a guess. I'd be up for a blind comparative tasting.

You first.

But we did sort of brush this topic at The Daily Gullet a few years ago:

Edited by maggiethecat (log)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

You first.

But we did sort of brush this topic at The Daily Gullet a few years ago: Um, puppies,,,

I don't think I'll ever forget that great story.

What's the difference between produce and pet? Geography? Need?

Moe Sizlack

Emotion ? Hunger ? Time spent in the Essex's whaleboat ?

You'd have to buy all the fish in the store to feed one person a tiny serving.

Whitebait ! Premium whitebait, even.

Nice thread, Peter.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

Many years ago, a bill was introduced in the California legislature that forbid people to eat their pets. I can't remember the exact wording of the bill now, but the gist of it was, you couldn't consume your pet for food.

And why would you need a law to keep you from doing that? (The topic of this thread notwithstanding.) Someone told me the bill was a reaction to the the SE Asian immigrants here who kept cute little piglets as pets in their households, then slaughtered the animals for food when the pigs became too expensive to feed and too big to keep in the house. That policy made sense in SE Asia, but in urban-suburban California it, um, distressed the neighbors. In any case, the bill didn't pass.

I (we) have a "virtual pet store" outside our house. Rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks, red fox, woodchuck, deer, birds (including dove and broadtail hawk).

There are at least three large rabbits living on our property, but after one lapin dinner my SO wouldn't let me kill another for food. Deer are not going to be killed on our property either, according to her.

Banished from Chowhound; I like it just fine on eGullet!

If you`re not big enough to lose, you`re not big enough to win! Try this jalapeno, son. It ain't hot...

• 2 weeks later...

Crickets and meal worms and scorpions?

Moe Sizlack