• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Watch Factory in Cheshire is worth a drive!

Scargo

Don't be put off with "Austrian" in "Austrian Country Cuisine" by Chef Markus Patsch.

I've not been to Austria, no less Germany. Perhaps you wouldn't be, but I had reservations. I had thoughts of heavy food and limited choices. The Watch Factory, with its weird name (no watches made here), is far from what I had envisioned.

My SO was there many years ago for dinner. This was my first visit and we had a spectacular lunch. The setting is very nice; in an old red brick building that was a watch factory at one time. There were about eight or ten tables being served by one woman during the time we were there from 12PM till 1:30PM. They are open for lunch from 11:30AM till 1:30 PM.

I was given a sample of a delicious and crisp white wine from Austria. I think it was Huber, Grüner Veltliner. SO does not usually drink whites, but she had to have a glass of it to go with her chicken with wild mushroom crepe. I had the Jäger Schnitzel, which was a fantastically thin schnitzel with the same wild mushroom cream sauce. Before that we had the cheese (Grueyere) spätzle with greens. Absolutely decadent. If you think mac and cheese can be good then you have to try their spätzle... and it is made when you order it!

My schnitzel plate came with a slice of potato pancake (think hash browns as a pie), beautifully cooked haricots and a creamy red cabbage dish flavored with cinnamon and clove. It was quite a bit of food, perfectly cooked and beautifully presented for $17.

Oh, and the wonderful bread! Nice chew and flavor.

The service was very professional and attentiveness just right. We were impressed with how she managed giving everyone good service.

I can't wait to go back for dinner. Our waitress/hostess said Friday's and Saturday's needed reservations. I think you could drive an hour to get there and think it well worth it. http://www.watchfactoryrestaurant.com/index.html

Banished from Chowhound; I like it just fine on eGullet!

If you`re not big enough to lose, you`re not big enough to win! Try this jalapeno, son. It ain't hot...