• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Sirloin Roast Question

firedogut

I got a 14lb roast from my butcher, HEB for those in Texas. It was a untouched Top Sirloin USDA PRIME wet aged for 21 days with thick fat cap on one side. This is the cut of beef they cut their Prime Top Sirloin steaks from. I am dry aging in a fridge for 4 days (constant 37F with humidity controls and air flow).

I've made Ribeye roasts (bone-in and bone-out) and Ny strip roasts and tenderloin roasts, but never a top sirloin. I figure the top sirloin was only 5.98/lb while USDA PRIME Strip or Ribeye was 14.99/lb it would still make a good roast.

There is so much different information about this cut. I've had top sirloin steaks in steakhouses and they were great. not as tender as a strip or ribeye but very flavorful.

I was planning on cooking like i do my ribeye roasts. fresh ground Salt and pepper. Oven at 250F cooked to 125-130F pulled and let rest for 20 min. put back into a 550F oven for 5-8 min to crisp outside.

Its been a while, is 18-20 a pound sound correct.

You guys think this will be good?

1.jpg

2.jpg