• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Candied citrus peel, leftover syrup

cteavin

Whats toast dope?

A famous topping from Johnnybird it's in several topics on this forum but it's become well know elsewhere.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

My attempt at making my orange syrup into sugar is at a standstill. I cooked it and cooked it and it never reached the hardball stage in that I was sure it was going to simply burn before it got there.

Would that be because the sugar syrup was too 'liquid', as in not enough sugar in it to make a proper mixture? I poured it out and it's sitting there, a more or less solidified chewy taffy. The bottom of the pot was definitely on its way to burnt. Perhaps my heat was too high? Perhaps I can still work with it, but how?

Thanks.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Forgot to add that I tried the holes in the muffins and brush on the syrup. Was not worth the attempt. You'd have to somehow permeate the entire muffin to make any real difference.

Have now cut the muffins into chunks and will next make a 'bread' type pudding from them. Found a recipe of sorts.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

As others have noted, I also use it in marinades and salad dressings. This week a bit of tangerine, lemon and honey syrup went into the iced tea pitcher. Not enough to make it taste sweet. It added a hint of something that nobody could put their finger on but enjoyed immensely.

My attempt at making my orange syrup into sugar is at a standstill. I cooked it and cooked it and it never reached the hardball stage in that I was sure it was going to simply burn before it got there.

Would that be because the sugar syrup was too 'liquid', as in not enough sugar in it to make a proper mixture? I poured it out and it's sitting there, a more or less solidified chewy taffy. The bottom of the pot was definitely on its way to burnt. Perhaps my heat was too high? Perhaps I can still work with it, but how?

Thanks.

I can't figure out what happened. I have the opposite problem of crystals forming when I don't want them. I put some orange/ginger syrup into a jar just before Christmas and there were solid crystals from the outside of the jar to within an inch of the middle, with only a cone-shaped area that is still syrupy in the middle. As I needed syrup, I added a little water and gradually melted it in the microwave until I could pour all of it out of the jar.

I heated it a bit more, in a Pyrex measure, in the microwave and after pouring out what I needed for my recipe, left the Pyrex container sitting on the counter and when I came back to it, a couple of hours later, crystals had already begun to form around the edges. Anything containing sugar (without any corn syrup, honey or etc.) will try to crystallize as the water is expelled or evaporates.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I can't figure out what happened. I have the opposite problem of crystals forming when I don't want them. I put some orange/ginger syrup into a jar just before Christmas and there were solid crystals from the outside of the jar to within an inch of the middle, with only a cone-shaped area that is still syrupy in the middle. As I needed syrup, I added a little water and gradually melted it in the microwave until I could pour all of it out of the jar.

I heated it a bit more, in a Pyrex measure, in the microwave and after pouring out what I needed for my recipe, left the Pyrex container sitting on the counter and when I came back to it, a couple of hours later, crystals had already begun to form around the edges. Anything containing sugar (without any corn syrup, honey or etc.) will try to crystallize as the water is expelled or evaporates.

This I know. My Buddha's Hand syrup is just like your syrup. Almost completely crystals.

What do you suggest I do? If any. If not, well, it has ceased to matter... Thanks

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.