• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kings of Pastry

sheepish

This was shown in the UK on BBC4 last night. Not sure if it'll get to BBC America, or whatever our license fee funds overseas ;-)

But also noticed it's been at a few film festivals

http://kingsofpastry.com/

If you get a chance I thoroughly recommend it. So much better than 99% of all the dreary celeb-chef or amatuer cooking competions, Masterchef, et al. I could précis it but the URL covers that really. Stayed up well past my bed time to catch the end! Don't regret today's tiredness.

• 11 months later...

Just saw this last night as it came out on Netflix DVD this last Tuesday. Fascinating!!

I have to agree with Nickloman that many of the pieces didn't look that great -- objectively speaking -- but given the time constraints and the stress, they were pretty impressive nonetheless. I absolutely cringed and shuddered when that sugar piece shattered. (No, seriously, I actually and physically shuddered. The filmmakers had done enough of a good job by then that you really, REALLY felt the significance of that!)

That said, it wasn't *as* hugely exciting and riveting as I'd expected from all the reviews. I think the editing could have been tighter, and they could have shown more of the actual competition or deliberation, instead of the chap's children or home life back in Chicago. Perhaps it's all my fault and I expected something much more taut, tense and tight, prior to the last 15 minutes.

Still, it's definitely worth renting -- if only to see just *what* these expert patissiers put themselves through and the art they create. I just wish there were an analagous sort of documentary for The Bocuse D'Or.

"There are dogs, and then there are German Shepherds.... "- Unknown

Someone is probably going shoot me down for this, BUT: I was deeply impressed by the skill so many of them showed, yet I wondered why so many of them seemed to be working with an aesthetic that was clearly alien to them, and some of the finished pieces, although beautifully done, were sort of ... tacky. Sort of like Canova channeling Brancusi.

Is it sort of a given, these days, that to stand a chance of winning something like M.O.F., you have to go with the more abstract aesthetics of some of the contemporary art movements?

One of the competitors did some small pieces, lollipops of some sort, I believe, that were little Pierrot heads, and when I saw those, I remember thinking that they worked because they really seemed to come from the guy's aesthetic comfort zone; same with some teddy bears that were part of (if I remember correctly... it's been a while since I saw this) a larger composition.

I'm still hoping Pfeiffer wins this someday.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Thanks for posting this. I missed the film when it was showing in town and was happy to see that it is also available streaming on Netflix, so I watched it last night. I would have loved to see more shots of all the fully finished displays. I think the teddy bears were part of a wedding cake, bears in love gazing into each others eyes.

Having JUST come back from attending a chocolate show piece class in Chicago, my admiration for these people went up 1000%. To have this level of skill in so many areas of pastry and to deliver such beautiful pieces inspired me. I've now felt the terror and joy of building a chocolate show piece. Mine was no where near as beautiful as those in the film. I too gasped in pain as the sugar showpiece fell apart. I watched two of my classmates pieces fall and felt great sympathy for them.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

• 8 months later...

I watched this last night and am very glad I did, though as documentaries go the production is a little sloppy. Still, even for someone like me who has no experience with making confections and is a mediocre baker, the dedication and skills it takes to win this competition come through loud and clear. The preparation takes over their lives and families, and the tension of the competition is riveting. It was clearly an emotional experience for everyone involved, judges as well as competitors.

Someone is probably going shoot me down for this, BUT: I was deeply impressed by the skill so many of them showed, yet I wondered why so many of them seemed to be working with an aesthetic that was clearly alien to them, and some of the finished pieces, although beautifully done, were sort of ... tacky. Sort of like Canova channeling Brancusi.

Ha! great description of some of those sculptures. I had the same reaction. What I did love were the "bijoux" (jewels) that were displayed in the lucite boxes. Those were incredible, the imagination and delicacy there took my breath away.

Worth a watch.