• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

paulraphael

paulraphael

On 8/11/2018 at 8:46 PM, gfweb said:

I have Chicago metallic from amazon and volrath and Lincoln sheetpans from the local restaurant warehouse store. Equivalent products, but the latter is way cheaper. In fact everything there is unbelievably inexpensive and often better made. 

I have a mix of Lincoln, Chicago, and some unbranded ones from the restaurant store. The Lincolns and the heavier no-name ones are my favorite. The Chicago Metallic has a slight advantage in cases where you don't want things to brown as aggressively ... the steel is a bit less conductive than aluminum. But it's a minor difference and mostly I use whichever pan is on top. The disadvantage of the Chicago pans is temporary warping. When subject to rapid temperature change they often go "ping!" and twist themselves a bit longitudinally. They've always returned to normal, but this is disconcerting, and at least once has sent a cookie into the air. Overall I think heavier gauge bare aluminum is a better material than steel for sheet pans . 

paulraphael

paulraphael

On 8/11/2018 at 8:46 PM, gfweb said:

I have Chicago metallic from amazon and volrath and Lincoln sheetpans from the local restaurant warehouse store. Equivalent products, but the latter is way cheaper. In fact everything there is unbelievably inexpensive and often better made. 

I have a mix of Lincoln, Chicago, and some unbranded ones from the restaurant store. The Lincolns and the heavier no-name ones are my favorite. The Chicago Metallic has a slight advantage in cases where you don't want things to brown as aggressively ... the steel is a bit less conductive than aluminum. But it's a minor difference and mostly I use whichever pan is on top. The disadvantage of the Chicago pans is temporary warping. When subject to rapid temperature change they often go "ping!" and twist themselves a bit longitudinally. They've always returned to normal, but this is disconcerting, and at least once has sent a cookie into the air. Overall I think heavier gauge bare aluminum is a better material for sheet pans than steel.