• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining in the Thames Valley

I have been trying restaurants in the Thames valley recently with a view to organising a spring lunch for our local members. I thought I had found somewhere when we had a good lunch at Danesfield House the other week. I negiociated an all inclusive price for 20 - 30 people in one end of the Orangery restaurant then they told me I would have to pay £200 room hire on top!! That was the end of that.

Today, it being a lovely day we decided to try Boulters Restaurant at Boulters Lock, Maidenhead. I have known this place for many years and it has a checkered history. It has recently had a £2.5 million refit and they have done an excellent job. Light, bright and airy with fantastic views down the river and the big plus - the food was good and the place was buzzing. Head chef is Daniel Woodhouse who has been with the Roux Group amongst others. The cuisine is modern British and our lunch was light, beautifuly presented and full of distinctive flavours.

Terrine of chicken, leek & foie gras, with apple chutney & toasted brioche had a good proportion of foie gras layered with the chicken. The fillet of rainbow trout was served on a bed of very flavoursome Lyonnaise potatoes with perfectly cooked curly kale and celeriac puree. This was dressed with a foam with an interesting flavour - a lighter celeriac fragrance?

Puds were very good too. Nougatine parfait and apricot coulis was served with intensely flavoured caramelised apricots. A very light well risen lemon meringue pie souffle was served with raspberry ice cream that was pronounced a bit too sharp.

We had a very good Rose Prosecco at £23.50

2 courses - £14.95, 3 courses - £19.95

They gave me a very reasonable all inclusive for a Saturday lunch at the end of April. It is good find some places that are keen to do business. :biggrin:

Edited by Pam Brunning (log)

Pam Brunning Editor Food & Wine, the Journal of the European & African Region of the International Wine & Food Society

My link