• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

make your own liqueurs

Lior

I looked through 16 pages of recipe books here, determined not to stray off (did not work, of course!) but found no question like this. So maggiethecat or anyone else who knows such things, what book do you recommend? I want to make liqueurs and cream liqueurs and creme liqueurs (what is the diff?) I am, of course, interested also in chocolate liqueurs, but not only.

Thanks!

No. To be honest, I've rarely had a homemade liqueur that approached the quality of even the lesser commercial products. The exceptions have been things like homemade sloe gin, which isn't exactly rocket science. I've had a few cream liqueur preparations that have been okay, but this is in general not a category I hold in high esteem and, in addition, the homemade preparations are not shelf-stable (not to mention that, if you want "Irish Cream" it's hard to beat mixing cream, sugar and Irish whiskey in a glass yourself according to your preferences).

--