• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Why did my gratin break?

Chris Hennes

Do you suppose Peterson is suggesting Parmesan as his top choice purely on the basis of flavor? I still am not sure whether the final graininess in the original batch was due to too much water, or too much heat for the cheese I used, but I'm surprised that if Peterson uses Parm most of the time, he doesn't mention this issue.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

• 1 month later...

Something that occurred to me recently is a trick I use when making macaroni and cheese. I like the flavor of aged gouda or cheddar but they do tend to get grainy. Adding a small amount of cream cheese seems to keep the sauce much more smooth -- about an ounce per cup of bechamel, added when the sauce has thickened but before I add the cheese. Maybe it would help with this dish as well.