• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Onion soup en croute, help please!

dngmt

I've been trying to adapt an Onion Soup en croute recipe for faster service and have a few issues I was wondering if anyone can help me with? I'm trying to figure out a way I can shorten the bake time before serving.

Normally I prep the onion soup, fill at room temp and cover the serving cups with puff pastry, egg wash and cheese, then chill for 15 minutes, then bake at 400 for 20 minutes. Noticed in a restaurant where they serve it that they're prepping most of it in advance so I tried to bake it early in the day, then rewarm in the oven just before serving, but then the inside of the puff pastry gets soggy. If I do the same by half baking it, then cool it, and rebake later, the puff pastry not only sinks and often doesn't puff back up, but it still gets soggy on the inside. Does anyone have any expert advice?

I'm afraid that I can't offer expert advice, but thinking it through, the first thing I would try would be baking the puff pastry fully (or almost fully) on an empty greased cup. Then lift off the pastry and keep it on a tray (covered or not - depending on the wait period). To serve, add the hot soup to the cup, cap it with the pre-cooked puff pastry cap, top with cheese and broil briefly to melt cheese and warm the pastry through.