• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is the Locavore Thing Making Anyone Money?

catdaddy

Well, here in Portland, serving sustainable product is becoming a standard. For instance, my neighborhood taqueria serves Painted Hills beef (200 miles away) ,Carlton Farms pork (37 miles away), and uses local produce whenever it is available. And this is a taco and burrito place where nothing on the menu is over six bucks. I would say that the majority of restaurants, from fine dining to neighborhood chef driven boutique bistros to the local fast food chain Burgerville, serves mostly local sustainable, and organic food. The truth is that local food is a way of life here. As for making money, I don't think that many people in the business are looking at "the locavore thing" as a way to make more money. You should serve local products because it is good for the environment, good for farmers, good for your local economy, and gives you a real connection with the world around you. Plus it tastes better and is better for you.

Maybe the farmers, finally. It should be business as usual for the restaurants.

Well said, PDXFood. Welcome. :biggrin:

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

After thinking about this further, I have thought about some possible ways to make eating local more profitable. First of all, if you advertise the fact that your restaurant serves local food when at all possible, you get a reputation as a place that cares about the local farmers and economy. More repeat customers and a good reputation can make you more money in the long run. Also, when you buy local and seasonal, you're not paying for airplane fuel along with the cost of those Argentinian blackberries in January. As we all know, when things are in season, they are plentiful and dirt cheap. So by planning your menu around the seasons and switching it up by creating specials based around this idea, your profit margin will go up. I think. Maybe not. Honestly, I'm in the business for the food and not the financial side of things, but I am passionate about the "farm to table" concept and would like to see more chefs and restaurateurs get on board.