• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Antique cast iron waffler

Scout_21

Hello,

I've been searching for a new waffle iron after my electric belgian flip style left me with a soggy waffle and then refused to heat up. So far I've only been able to find "regular" waffle irons made mostly by griswald and variety of other now defunct companies. Texsport and Log Cabin both currently make models but only with the smaller grid pattern. Nordicware does make a square stovetop belgian waffler but only in aluminum. I know that "belgian" waffles came about in 1960's during the introduction of many, many new electric appliances. Anyway...does anyone happen to know if these exist? Any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers

The Belgian type waffle irons (stovetop) were not readily available in the U.S. until sometime in the late '60s, early '70s after they were "discovered" by a few professional chefs and were introduced at restaurants here and there.

I collect antique and vintage electric kitchen appliances and I have not been able to find an electric Belgian waffler made prior to 1974 (Toastmaster). There are several patents dated earlier but no actual production before then.

I still use my 1950s era Sunbeam waffle iron - not non-stick but it has developed a "seasoned" surface after fifty years of use and the waffles turn out beautifully crisp.

If you want the Belgian type waffles, I think the best ones are the flip style that will adequately bake both top and bottom of the waffle throughout. I haven't had much luck with the regular ones - the waffles are always a bit soggy in the centers.

I have the Waring Flip, purchased from Chefs Catalog, and it works fine for me.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I checked and discovered I did not buy the Belgian waffler from Chef's - I bought it from Pleasant Hill grain.

I bought this one: https://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/waring_waffle_maker_pro_belgian_waffle_makers_professional_WMK300.aspx

The only difference between it and the commercial model (3 1/2 times the price) is that part of the housing, handles and etc., are "plastic" instead of stainless steel. I like commercial appliances but unless there is a specific reason, do not buy them for superficial appearance.

Since I got mine Waring has added the WMK400 to the line but it is essentially the same as the 300. Same wattage, etc., and mine bakes the waffles more rapidly than the one I had previously (Euro-Pro).

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett