• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ready-made Gnocchi

prasantrin

Yes, yes, make your own. But I don't want to waste the potatoes, eggs, and flour it would take to perfect making my own. If I could just get some decent ready-made gnocchi that is available to the masses, I'd be set!

There are some brands in the refrigerated section in my area of Japan, but the one I tried was horrible--gummy and heavy. So I'm turning to the mass-produced ones.

Barilla?

De Cecco?

Those are the only ones I've seen in more than one country, so perhaps some of you have tried them? Are either of them any good? Worth trying out?

I never found a decent ready-made potato gnocchi. Perhaps because I was raised on ones made by my Italian-war-bride mother. Why not try making the ricotta-based gnocchi, as described, for instance, by Lidia Bastianich? Much easier to make, taste better, and you can eat more without feeling like you just downed a whole dinner-for-four. I assume you can get ricotta in Japan?

Ray