• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How long does You Tiao last?

kangarool

Hi, I am going on a 4 day hike soon, one of those 'carry-your-tent and everything else' hikes. To conserve space and weight, for breakfast I am taking along some packs of 'instant congee' something I've just recently come across at my Asian market. Surprisingly good, and close (enough) to the real thing.

Here's my question: If i bought some You Tiao to carry along and slice up to have in it/with it, how long would a couple sticks last? No refrigeration obviously, so I'm wondering if I took a few along, could I have one for breakfast every morning (4 days worth)? Or, is their shelf life only a day or so?

thanks for any advice/kanga

Thanks. I reckon that it would probably be OK on Morning 2 (if cut and added to congee), but Morning's 3 and 4 I should probably not count on it lasting... would the oil content start to turn rancid? Anyway, may give it a go and feed it to the koala's if it starts to go bad...